I made an engine stand to make assembly a little easier and to view operation of the components. I used 2 pieces of wood, crossed, and some threaded rod to secure the engine to the stand. 1.5 hours
I had to slightly grind the welds where the tabs are welded to the engine beam so the crankshaft bearing flanges would sit flush to the beam. Pressed in all the brass bushings. Since I am painting the beam and the cylinders I taped off all the area's that would be in contact with the beam, steam chest, water pumps, and valve guide. Since these are machined I did not want any paint interference. I used a Hammer Tone Black for the beam and Barbecue Silver (high heat) for the cylinders and the steam boxes. I polished the brass water pumps and manifolds. 4.0 hours
I started cylinder assembly. The cylinders and steam boxes and valves bolted together without any problems. The valve guides and threaded rod needed to be thoroughly cleaned of filings and a 1.25 X 8 tap run through to clean up the threads. The valve rods will have to be rethreaded as the threads are not cut deep enough to thread into the valve guide, a 1.25 X 8 die takes care of this problem easily. I was contacted by Gil and Brad; they were having this problem as well, so I will assume others will run across this. 3.0 hours
I set the valve guide bar and guides and started to make my adjustments for smooth operation of the valves. I had to remove 1 cylinder shim to obtain smooth valve operation. As all the bolts are tightened keep checking the valve operation, after all the bolts are tightened and you are satisfied with the valve motion, remove the cylinder plate bolts one at a time to put Locktite on the threads and do the same with the valve guide bar bolts. All other bolts are only temporarily assembled. 1.5 hours
Start water pump assembly. I had to pass a .2610 drill through the 4 fittings and the pump bodies where the valves are to be assembled. The 4 valves needed quite a bit of cleaning as there were a lot of burrs from the machine work. When the valves are assembled properly you should be able to blow air through them in only 1 direction. Make sure that the valves are installed so that the inlet and outlet are on the same end of the engine beam as the pumps are a mirror image of one another. I had to remove 1 shim so the manifolds would not bind when securing the fittings. Use Teflon Tape on the threads of the fittings into the water pumps and tighten securely. All other bolts and the manifold fittings are just snug at this point, as this is only temporary assembly. 3.0 hours
The machine work on the cylinders and the steam boxes is absolutely outstanding, a work of art. I found the machine work on the water pumps quite rough in comparison to all the other machine work received. This little steam engine is really looking good. In comparison to the real Locomobile I believe the cylinder size is the same, although different in engineering approach. I'm now quite anxious for the next kit which should complete the engine and install in the chassis. Time for another Guinness and admire my work.
Click here for almost complete picture
Update 2010: Modelworks are now Steam Traction World their website can be found HERE
Go to page:
Kit One and Two.
Kit Three and Four.
Kit Four B and Five.
Kit Six and Eight.
Addendum Kit Ten.
Kit Seventeen and Eighteen.
Leaf Spring Modification.
Brake Pedal, Brake Line, and Throttle Pedal Installation
Fuel Line Pickup Modification.
Super Heater, Hand Pump, and Plumbing.
Some Final Assembly and First Time Steam Up.
Road Test and a few Modifications.
Locomobile Cylinder Drains July 2009.