Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Monotube steam generators
Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.as43234.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 05:07PM

Hi folks

Interesting link about the safety of monotube, once through steam generators.
The video link on the site shows a 500 boiler hp under destructive test.
[www.claytonindustries.co.uk]

Brian

Re: Mono tube steam generators
Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.KCOM.COM)
Date: January 20, 2009 06:07PM

Hi there Brian,

Very interesting and precisely what I have found on the gradual development of the three mono tube steam generators I have ruptured on my Doble steam cars, now replaced with a fourth.

The only way I could tell that the tube had ruptured was a small amount of water under the steam generator, being unable to raise any more steam even though the fire was on and a very faint hissing sound. All three steam generators were operating at 900 psi, the working pressure of Doble D2. The E types, for your information, operate at 750 psi.

The cure to my problems has been to change from a stainless steel steam generator that came with the car to a gradual increase in tube thickness arriving at the top three coils now being 1/4 inch thick and 1 1/4 inch OD, the rest being also thick walled, all low carbon steel.

A number of Doble owners have gone through this process and all say that it is difficult to tell when the steam generator ruptures and confirm the above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC