Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
pressure washers
Posted by: (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: November 10, 2006 06:00PM

Has anyone had any experience of using the domestic pressure washer (for cleaning patios, muddy vehicles etc.) as a feed pump for a boiler? Perhaps I should say used the pump out of such a machine. I understand that they are usually 3 throw positive displacement type with pressure capability in excess of 1000psi.
Presumably they have a reduction gearbox drive from a standard 1400rpm induction motor and don't turn at that speed. But I wonder if they can take continuous service in a vehicle application since they are presumably designed for very intermitent use. If anyone has dismantled one or used one as a feed pump I would be interested to hear their comments.

Jack.......

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/10/06 06:02PM by Jack.

Re: pressure washers
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2006 03:36AM

Hi Jack,

Yes they are very successful, as a feed pump, being originally designed to rotate at 1400 rpm, when adapted to a boiler feed pump they only need to rotate at about 1/3 of your steam engine speed, making them capable of years of use.

When I have used these pumps, I look for the better quality pumps made with a bronze body, stainless valves, and a good body shape, not the type that bolts to the nose of the driving motor.

Hope this helps, Jeff.

Re: pressure washers
Posted by: (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 04:51PM

Thanks Jeff,
I only needed a small nudge to go and buy one. I will take your advice and get a decent quality one.

Jack........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC