Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Unaflow Engines
Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.as43234.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 04:17AM

Hi Folks

On the SACA forum Ken Helmick posted the late Ted Pritchard's last patent. It shows a piston valved uniflow with exhaust function also available on the piston valve for compression control.
Back in 1920 Stumpf had a similar idea for the 5"x4" Unaflow automobile engine. Similar in outward appearance to the Doble uniflow, there are a number of detail differences.

Brian

Now folk are reading the forums, though maybe for the wrong reason, I would just like to remind them I have a number of original Pearson Cox and Stumpf Unaflow blueprints. Also, if the SACA article is correct, the sole surviving Pearson Cox 15 drivers manual.

Attachments: Stumpf.bmp (217kB)  
Re: Unaflow Engines
Posted by: Brian McMorran (92.19.96.---)
Date: February 4, 2009 05:04AM

Hello again

Don't want to make this list my private diary but just in case there are some shy readers out there actually interested in things other than Stanley.
A discussion about powertrains led me to post a British angle on the subject.

In Motor magazine Dec. 4th 1965, Alec Issigonis presented his concept of a steam car with torque convertor.His private car was a Mini with a large IC engine, torque convertor and no gearbox. Relied on the torque from the oversized engine rather than the complexity of the automatic transmission. The article describes a uniflow concept with torque convertor.
Once I get access to the secret blueprints of the Issigonis steam projects I will put together an article.

Brian

Attachments: steamarticle001.jpg (229kB)   steamarticle002.jpg (224kB)   steamarticle003.jpg (209kB)   steamarticle004.jpg (243kB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC