Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
BARRETT STEAM CAR FOR SALE
Posted by: (---.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 07:48AM

Hello,
Jeff Theobald kindly invited me to post a notice here.

[cgi.ebay.com]
LISTING # 130208756898
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bearing in mind that ebay does not allow external links in their listings, this is a little different from what is on that page. I understandably don't want to get on the wrong side of ebay. Only doing due diligence to get word of it throughout the steam community. We'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions you might have. Full terms at ebay.
Thank you,
Craeghton Nordahn
California USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steam powered vehicle built on a kit car chassis. It is an experimental vehicle; there is a lot of documentation on it. Peter Barrett, the fellow who built it, has passed on to the happy engineer's shop in the sky. THIS IS ONE OF A KIND!
see the following links: for more photographs, [s305.photobucket.com]
for engineering pages on this car & links to documents, [www.firedragon.com]
for general reference, as Mr. Barrett was associated with Steam Automobile Club of America for many years: www.steamautomobile.com
This should be considered as a research project & not as typical transportation as it takes an understanding of steam engines & is a complex device. Since the surviving family has suffered a lot, they have asked me to act as an agent.
This car represents over 20 years of developmental work by an engineer & is verifiable. It ran at meets, at 60-80 MPH. What Pete Barrett did was to make the most modern steam vehicle that he could make. It has computer controls for the water and fire inputs into the boiler. The boiler is a monotube and the engine is high speed short cutoff.
For years Pete wrote a regular article on his work on the car. Usually it was problems that came up that he had to solve. These articles were written up in the steam club publications over a 20 year or more period.
As to value, it is speculative so it will be on a best bid basis. There exists a history of some steam vehicles with a historical lineage, selling for as much as $80K that I know of. However, none of those were designed incorporating current technology, as this is. Sale includes title, trailer & access to documentation. Sold as-is, since it has been in storage for a couple years. It would be wonderful to find someone who could truly appreciate what this is. It is known in the Steam community around the world.

Re: BARRETT STEAM CAR FOR SALE
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2008 01:28PM

Hi All,

Sold, and will shortly be on its way to England..... Jeff.

Posted by: (81.168.70.---)
Date: April 1, 2008 05:06PM

Just thought I'd post a quick messgage. I'm the buyer, & looking forward to joining up with the car. Hope it won't be too long before you see it at meets.

Greg

Posted by: (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 5, 2008 07:17PM

I have just posted some youtube video of first session getting steam plant up to full working pressure - 1500 psi.

View of boiler with small blast of steam released.
[uk.youtube.com]

View of interior showing steam pressure & temperature
[uk.youtube.com]

Greg

Date: February 17, 2009 05:51PM

Barrett - driven by steam, at last!

[www.youtube.com]

Best wishes
Greg

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2009 03:29AM

Hi Greg,

Well done, great news, it won't be long before Liphook gets some personal fog!

all the best, Jeff.

Posted by: (92.21.244.---)
Date: February 18, 2009 02:44PM

Now , that looks like one of those moments in steam ownership that we all aspire to.
Well done

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 02/19/09 02:53AM by Jonathan Bregazzi.

Date: February 18, 2009 05:16PM

Dear Jonathan,

I appreciate your comment. You certainly express a sentiment that I feel, although it wasn't obvious to me that there are others who might share, or relate to my aspirations.

I am very conscious of the fact there's a lot of talent in the club amongst our members.

Kind regards
Greg

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 05:34PM

Greg,

One of the advantages of steam cars in the early days in New England was said to be that the way they work was just so obvious to every local mechanic that they could be fixed anywhere. I've been reading your posts over the last eleven months and it is clear the the Barratt is a most ingenious box of tricks and far from easy to understand. I am full of admiration for the way in which you have got your head round all of this and got it to work in such a short time. A great effort.

Mike

Posted by: (---.grapevine.net.au)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:20AM

Well done Greg - It's great to see the car running under steam again :-)

Cheers
Jerry
Canberra, Australia

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC