Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Maxwell pilot
Posted by: (---)
Date: December 8, 2009 03:57PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Coleman vaporizer tube for the Maxwell pilot? I'm curious what model generator these are?

Thanks

Re: Maxwell pilot
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 8, 2009 11:20PM

The old Coleman single burner model 500 camp stove's fuel vaporizer is what the Maxwell used. eBay usually has the stoves for sale. Lately I have noticed that a few Stanley owners have tried using a more modern lamp vaporizer that is available at most sporting good stores. It is used in the Coleman double mantle lantern. So far the newer lantern vaporizers haven't impressed me as being reliable enough for a Stanley pilot light, but that could change.

Date: December 10, 2009 11:07AM

Thanks Pat, I had thought there would be one specific model. Have you run many Maxwell pilots? My new 10 hp car has one that seems to work fine. I figured I would get a spare generator for it, and use it until the next time I have the burner down, then do some modifications to use a more standard pilot. When I checked ebay it I found one #500, and one #502, I'm assuming they are probably different?

Thanks,
Adam Walkup

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2009 11:41AM

Hi Adam,

I have, and a number of our member’s have cars which use the Maxwell pilots, they work very well and are reliable as long as you keep the whole system clean, great care needs to be taken with the fuel, such as keeping a dedicated fuel container, great care needs to be used if working with the vaporising tube as the wire is very delicate, it’s a good idea not to try and use the front control to switch the pilot off, as over tightening will damage the wire.

hope this helps, Jeff.

Date: December 11, 2009 02:10AM

We have used the Maxwell pilot for over 25 years on all of our Stanleys. Like Jeff said, no problems as long as you keep the fuel clean. If they ever become dirty, they are an easy road side clean job, or just carry a spare. The newer 502 generator will not fit the Maxwell pilot. I perfer to use only Coleman fuel. I have used the Walmart brand fuel in the past but it is not as good.

Date: December 11, 2009 09:46AM

We have used the Stanley style pilots that John Packard makes in both my 21, and Dad's mountain wagon, and really like them. Dad even burns his on straight pump gasoline. I am going to get some extra generators, and try this Maxwell pilot in this car, as it does not have another peep hole in the face plate.

Date: December 11, 2009 03:53PM

A new clean pilot is usually always a good runner, whether it is a Maxwell, Packard, or even a Stanley pilot. I lean towards the Maxwell pilot for its reliably good service. In time, I have seen all of them eventually give fits because of dirt, carbon, or from even being out of fuel. ;-) Sometimes the most obvious is overlooked.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.oxfd.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: December 12, 2009 06:13PM

I used a Maxwell on unleaded for a while in the Model H - it generally worked OK but was not powerful enough to compete in the air induction race with the main burner so was abandoned. Much better at coping with unleaded than the normal Stanley pilot because of the hotter conditions due to being entirely within the main burner - just needed a more forceful flame.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC