Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Oily exhaust
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 14, 2010 03:24PM

For years I have put up with an oily film on the back of the Model H from the steam exhaust. The aerodynamics at the back make a dead spot behind the car and the exhaust steam just swirled up and onto the paint. I always thought that the exhaust pipe which points straight out to the back, just below the burner flue, would help by shooting the steam out and away but this was wrong.

I recently fitted a 45 degree elbow on the pipe pointing down and back and this completely cured the problem because the steam is forced into the airflow coming out from under the car, hits the road and then is carried back very flat and level with the ground. Result clean car and a trail of oily splodges on the road - well at least I know the oil pump is working!

Mike

Edited 23rd May to add - if you look at my post of May 22nd on the "In my Shed today" thread you can see exactly what I mean.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/23/10 05:40PM by Mike Clark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC