Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
To keep you all aware............
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2009 12:58PM

Dear all, posted is the important part of an e-mail I received on the 19th February from Gareth Jones who claims to be the chairman of the Steam Car Club of Gt Britain Ltd. As you are aware I’ve produced twenty four editions of the magazine over the last six years for all the members to enjoy at great cost to myself in both time and money.

I resigned that position as editor because of the unjustified and excessive pressure and accusations I have received in the past 2 or 3 years and it simply got to the stage where I could take no more. But to receive such an e-mail from Gareth Jones, after all those years of my service to you all, I find an absolute disgrace. I can’t believe that our members would possibly support such actions from him. I handed over everything I had of the Club’s in my possession to a deputation of 6 people who turned up at my home; luckily Greg Walker came round to deal with them on my behalf as I found the situation on that day unbearable.

On a happier note I’ve just about completed the new magazine which will be out on time. regards, Jeff.

FIRST EMAIL FROM GARETH JONES Dated 19th February 13.27............

I reiterate what I said on the telephone if you fail to tell me that tomorrow pick up and meeting has been reinstated and the Club’s physical and intellectual property is to be returned the matter will be referred to the police and trading standards office for them to resolve . We have had a preliminary conversation with them and they are prepared to act . Jeff it really is time to stop playing games before this becomes really serious . As you will be aware once the police are involved the matter will no longer be in my hands .
Gareth

~~~~ Hillhouse Enterprises ~~~~
Telephone 01306 713049
Fax 05601 164994
PA to DG Jones: Sarah Jones

SECOND EMAIL FROM GARETH JONES received Thirty minutes later...........

You have until 5pm this evening to make your mind up whether to proceed with the pick up tomorrow or for us to hand to the police and trading standards .
Gareth

~~~~ Hillhouse Enterprises ~~~~
Telephone 01306 713049
Fax 05601 164994
PA to DG Jones: Sarah Jones

Re: To keep you all aware.........
Posted by: Michael Dyke (---.l2.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 25, 2009 04:41PM

Jeff,
I don't know about anyone else, but I am utterly astonished by this latest development, I am not surprised you couldn't face the "posse" when they came.
I was completely unaware this was the level of bullying you have been subjected to and as a current SCCGB member I am ashamed that these people are allegedly acting on the behalf of the members.
I am also a bit puzzled how Mr Jones has declared himself chairman, I as a member have recieved no report of the AGM, I don't know who is on the board an how they were elected!
I am so glad you decided to carry on producing a magazine and look forward to recieving issue #1! Keep up the good work,

best regards

Mike Dyke.

Posted by: les nelson (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 04:49PM

WORDS FAIL ME!That a once friendly club has degenerated to this ,Mark Twain offered a quote as follows.
"Forgiveness is the fragrance bestowed by the Violet on the heel that crushed it"

Now irrespective of who blames who in this latest part of the debacle can we not find it within ourselves to act in an adult manner and take a leaf out Mark Twains book , THINK ABOUT IT, it's not too difficult, we should be able to "rub along" without resorting to this kind of action, as I have said before "I expected better", but as has happened before I have been disapointed, use the bl**dy phone and communicate, POLITELY. Simples!

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 10:07PM

Dear Jeff. Gareth Jones should be ashamed of his behavior to you. Everyone that I have deal with, fully respects the fine job that Jeff Theobald has done. You are a credit to the steam car hobby around the world. This is only a bump in the road for you and hopefully most of the stress will soon be forgotten. Let's continue enjoying our steam cars and leave those mean nose pickers in their own destructive world. Sincerely, Pat Farrell, USA, owner of 5 Stanleys plus.

Re: To keep you all aware............
Posted by: (---.ubs.maxnet.co.nz)
Date: February 25, 2009 11:25PM

Shessh, that's about as odd as the mass mailed email I received from the "secretary" of the SCCGB Ltd on the 24th 10.55pm NZ time. Hints of skull duggery, theft etc. Very odd.
I'm assuming New Zealand law follows UK law pretty closely re companies? Have the "new" committee any idea about company law, directors responsibilities etc? I think they may have bitten a bit more off than they can chew. Emailing potentially defamatory statements as a company director etc in New Zealand would get you in a pile of ordure.
Jeff having met you I can't understand why SIX people needed to front up. Have you kept your black belt in advanced steam combat from the rest of us?
Just kidding. ;-)

Cheers
Mark

Posted by: Alan Sinclair (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 26, 2009 02:32AM

What on earth is wrong with Gareth Jones, I think Jeff must take legal advice if he hasn’t already done so but I think Jones is the one playing games because I feel he is taking total rubbish. I put this past my solicitor while talking about other matters and although his word cant be taken as gospel his opinion was Jones should see a doctor and it was unlikely a solicitor had given him advise, in his opinion this has nothing to do with trading standards and even less with intellectual law but please don’t except this opinion as gospel but it was suggested you take advise about being harassed and bullied with silly statements that any solicitor would shoot down. As someone has already said this is blatant bullying, I have no record of this person being elected so this bulling seems to be by a non elected member who has no rights.

What a thought to join a club run by people like that. I have filled in my new membership and look forward to meeting all the normal right thinking people.

Alan

Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 26, 2009 03:43AM

Jeff, you have my complete confidence and support.
I received my offer of membership tp the new club and have already filled it in and it will be posted tomorrow.
I suggest that if you totaled up your timesheets for the last few years you would be owed a substantial amount. certainly the "extra" service delivered to members via the website have made membership of a club 1/2 way around the world something I have been happy to contribute to.
the forum, moderated by you, has been invaluable to my learning curve with steam cars and I will beforever grateful.

Once again never doubt the strong support you have worldwide.

locosurrey

Posted by: (---.opaltelecom.net.241.13.84.in-ad)
Date: February 27, 2009 10:41AM

Mike, Alan, SSsssteamer, you will be even more astonished and disgusted when you hear of the latest escapade from the Gareth Jones mob. Poor Chris busk has had harrassing phone calls in the early hours and an unpleasant visit from another member of the mob. Chris felt so threatened by the visit he had to leave his home and stay with relatives. This is now out of control, what is driving this crazy bunch ?, what are they so desperate to have or hide?. This has got to be more than just getting control of a steam car club.
Chris, if you read this, take heart in the fact that you have the support of a lot of normal right minded people who, are disgusted at the actions of this lunatic mob.

Posted by: Alan Sinclair (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 03:02AM

As you say this is totally out of hand,what is a matter with these people, Chris has my full support because no matter what the reason there is NO EXCUSE for this behaviour by anyone but to treat a fellow club member this way is disgusting.

Posted by: (---.grapevine.transact.net.au)
Date: February 28, 2009 08:45AM

Likewise, Jeff and Chris, you have my full confidence and support and I shall be posting off the new membership on Monday. As one who had just joined the SCCGB I find it astonishing that such bullying as that displayed by Gareth Jones could go on in a civilised association. This is a steam car club for heaven's sake, not a political party!

If the UK defamation law is anything like Australian law it would appear there are plenty of grounds to indict Mr Jones and his cohort on defamation and harrassment charges - and at the very least to secure a court restraining order forbidding any of them to approach within 400 metres of yourself, your family or your home.

Anyhow, Jeff, as others have pointed out it is just a bump in the road - I for one appreciate everything you have done for the club over the years and look forward to the new SCC under the new format. I will of course be forwarding my membership dues to the new Club forthwith.

Best regards
Jerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC