Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Anglo American Vintage Car Rally 1954
Posted by: (Moderator)
Date: December 6, 2011 03:52PM

We have been contacted by Malcolm Dungworth who e-mailed a couple of photographs of himself standing with a 1913 Stanley. Malcolm is looking for any information that our club members can offer him about other people in the photographs or the location. Please go to the link for the photographs and more details. Thank you.
Anglo American Vintage Rally 1954

Re: Anglo American Vintage Car Rally 1954
Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: December 7, 2011 04:40AM

The first picture shows the Model H of Paul Tusek, navigated by Ed Bettinson. I have more pictures of this which I will send for the Club gallery. This car still exists. The person behind the car may possibly be Stanley Sears the noted veteran car (and particularly Rolls Royce) exponent.

The Model H caused huge interest as there were almost no working steam cars in the UK at the time. The Rally covered the whole country from the South coast up to Edinburgh with timed events at Prescott and Goodwood. The Model H suffered the common cylinder block failure at Prescott and had to limp through the rest of the tour but it was a remarkable effort for such a car.

The second car is the well known English bodied 10hp Stanley. Again this is a bit of a guess but the chap on the right could be Tom Rolt (LTC Rolt) the main organiser of the event and well known as the author of many fascinating books. The 10hp was not an entrant in the Rally but no doubt joined up at Edinburgh.

Th event was well reported by Tom Rolt in the VSCC Bulletin and I wrote a piece for the Stanley Museum Quarterly which I will send on to Malcolm whom I know through the VSCC.

Mike

Posted by: (---.armstrong.com)
Date: December 7, 2011 07:17AM

Model H5 #3719 [www.stanleyregister.net] , which had been owned by James Melton prior to Tusek, was purchased a few months ago by a member of the Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve, and is on display for the winter at the Marshall Steam Museum [www.auburnheights.org] .

In this photo, it was still wearing Melton's curious color scheme of cream with brown trim. Now it's red with yellow undercarriage.

The second car is #6819, which appears to have been in the same family for over 75 years. I put it on the 1912 page [www.stanleyregister.net] based on its serial number - it has been variously referred to as 1911 & 1913.

Kelly

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 7, 2011 09:24AM

Kelly, Excellent work on your "Stanley register". With your hard work, the register just keeps getting better.

Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: December 7, 2011 12:19PM

6819 the 10hp still lives in Scotland, belonging to a member of the SCCGB. Perhaps one of the two in the picture is the present owner's father.

Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/07/11 12:20PM by Mike L Clark.

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: December 7, 2011 02:41PM

Hi Mike,
I beieve that one of the people in the photo is the current owners father. George.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC