Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page:1 of 25
In my shed today
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.glfd.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 06:45PM

Here is a thread to tell us what you've been doing in your workshop - like Jeff's Monthly Workshop Picture. I see other Forums where this is done and it is always interesting. To set it off I'll post something about my own activities of the last few days.

Mike

Re: In my shed today
Date: March 11, 2009 07:20PM

I had a piston rod let go in August with the usual mechanical mayhem. All is now fixed with the help of J Goold but as the cause of the failure was clearly metal fatigue due to the rocking stresses on the cross head induced by the single ball bearing guides I decided to switch to the bronze slide arrangement. This needed a considerable revision of the drip feed oiling setup which has worked very well on this "dry" Stanley engine for the last 6000 miles.

Here are a few pictures.

The oiling system has two main parts, firstly a set of four oil nipples which I use on firing up to squirt oil onto the eccentrics and into the main crankshaft bearings. I moved these from their previous position on the near side of the engine where they were very hard to get at even by grovelling on the ground as I did in the past. They are now on the offside just behind the hook up shaft and are easily accessed through a tiny sliding panel in the engine case.

The second part consists of a pair of small tanks which drip feed oil directly to a trough on the top slide of the crosshead, to the wrist pin, and up through the lower bronze slide to the underside of the crosshead. Each of these pipes has a 1mm restriction at the outlet end and the one which feeds the wrist pin is sharp pointed and aligned so as to drip between the crosshead and the connecting rod so the oil is directed to the bearing bush. These tanks are topped up with about 25ml of oil each time I stop for water but now instead of simply pouring the oil into the tank through the opening top hatch of the engine case (a messy job) I am now making a brass oil tank fitted to the side of the car which which will have a plunger pump to transfer oil to the drip feed reservoirs and which can be operated from the driving seat - luxury indeed! The transfer will go through a pair of flexible pipes via the top hatch on the engine case.

Mike

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 03/11/09 07:26PM by Mike Clark.

Posted by: Old timer (213.40.117.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 03:34AM

Hi,
I have been making a model steam boat in my shed out of wood.Old Timer

Posted by: (---.nmsi.ac.uk)
Date: March 12, 2009 07:55AM

I donlt have a shed yet but am working on the planning application for it!

Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.KCOM.COM)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:07AM

I thought I would test out Mike Clark's posting system. I have to admit I could not get it to work until I telephoned him.

The picture is of my Doble E22 which has just nearly completed a 9 year restoration

Edited 9 times. Last edit at 03/15/09 11:54AM by barry herbert.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.manc.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 06:24PM

Here are the completed sliding panel in the engine case and also the top of the case with the hatch open showing the pipes which supply the drip feed.

People have asked me how to put pictures on the forum so I will start a separate thread to explain this.

Mike

Posted by: (---.cable.ziggo.nl)
Date: March 15, 2009 06:16AM

Hello to you all from the county of Friesland in the north of the Netherlands.

In my shed ia this moment I am working on the mk 1 field steambike.
I am rebuilding the frame to the way it was in the old Mr field pictures.
Somebode of the bikes former owners has cut the frame to lower the bike.
Perhaps his legs were short.
And the wheels were not good in line , if you look at the filmclip of the bike running you can see that the driver has a hell of a job to go in a strait line.
There were some pipes missing from the frame that made it very weak.
Is there sombody out there who was present at te ocasion that the bike was running.
I would like to know how long it did run and how far.
I have problems to go longer than half a mile.
Than the flash boiler gets flooded.
I think this comes from the fakt that the boiler is made out of stainles steel.
The old mr field boiler was made out of normal steel.
And we know that te exchange from stailes steel is worse than normal steel.

I will post some pictures the coming week ,at the moment I am in hospital.
A minor jaw operation nothing to worry ,wil be out later this day.
I hope you can make some sense out of my englisch

I would like to come in contact whit other steambike owners.
Perhaps the have usefull hints and tips.
Or I can be of help to them
Greetings to you all and keep up the good work in our new club.
Hope to meet some of you during next season
Henk van der Wal

Date: March 15, 2009 01:21PM

Henk,

Welcome - I can't answer your questions but am sure someone will be able to.

I look forward to seeing your pictures and don't worry your english is a whole lot better than my Dutch.

Have you seen this collection of steam motorcycle pictures?

[www.flickr.com]

Mike

Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.KCOM.COM)
Date: March 15, 2009 03:07PM

If any one is interested in lots of pictures of DOBLE STEAM CARS, restored and being restored go onto Mikes [www.Flickr.com] link and change the "Bright Spaces Photo-stream" to "Everyone's Uploads" by clicking on the tick. In the Search box enter Doble cars NOT Doble steam cars.

Posted by: (---.upc-h.chello.nl)
Date: March 20, 2009 12:10PM

Hello to you all,

Here at last the foto s I said I would post.
The first 2 are old pictures of Mr field.
So you can see how I am trying to change the frame back to something like the old one.
The other ones are vieuws in mij shed.
Left and right side of the bike and some other nice old french bikes
A Terrot,Armor and a Motobecane.
Only 98 cc two strokes made all in the first part of the 30s.
I hope you find itr of interest
Greetings
Henk

Attachments: the field oude foto 1.jpg (218kB)   the field oude foto 3.jpg (183kB)  
Goto Page:  1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page:1 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC