Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Flash boilers.
Posted by: Brain Boyle (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 04:50PM

Does anyone know of a company or certified boilermaker who could make a modern flash boiler for a reasonable price? Or am I just Asking the impossible?
Flash steam and modern control gear seems the way to go. All ideas and suggestions welcomed, The ultimate aim being a car I can drive on public roads.

Re: Flash boilers.
Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.KCOM.COM)
Date: March 16, 2009 05:42PM

Brian,

For the mono tube boilers on my Dobles D2 and E22 I used the firm Haycock & Hague.

They had factories in Selby and Hull.

I know that the Hull factory has shut down because of the recession but do not know if the Selby one is still operating.

All their work was first class and they were bending up to 1 1/2 inch outside diameter tubing for me with a wall thickness of 1/4 inch.

Their Selby number is 01757 290011.

Hope they still exist and can help you

Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.KCOM.COM)
Date: March 17, 2009 07:02AM

Brian,

Another place you might try is the following:

Kew Bridge Steam Museum,
Green Dragon Lane,
Brentford, Middx

However, I do not have their telephone number.

This firm bent up 3 coils for a Doble boiler made for the previous owner of Doble E22 in 2001.

Posted by: (78.145.67.---)
Date: March 17, 2009 11:14AM

Ask Anthony Bever he has had some coils made for his serpollet.

Regards John Hill

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.as43234.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 03:02PM

Hello Brian

Did you get the private messages I sent you regarding the Dayland engine, if so were they any help?

Ref. monotube generators, manufacturing one is not a problem, it is making sure you fulfill any boiler inspection imposed upon you.
My present unit will not meet the strictest interpretation of PSSR, i.e. non-coded welder, screwed not flange joints, etc, etc.
I know a non-coded welder who made test pieces for the inspector, but unfortunately these should have been submitted a period of time before the generator was completed.
Interesting price comparisons on the SACA forum under 'Boiler Cost & Design'. There was a new Doble type generator sold in Old Glory a while back for £2k.

Brian

Posted by: barry herbert (77.86.88.---)
Date: March 17, 2009 03:48PM

To have the pancake and helical coils formed for a new Doble F type boiler cost, in 2006, around £15,000 plus VAT.

Once finished they are hydraulically tested to 7,000 psi which is the pressure that the Doble factory tested them at.

The top 3 pancake coils are 1/4 thick and 1 1/2 inch o.d. and take a lot of bending. The helical coils are 22mm o.d. as are the next 3 pancake coils. The rest of the pancake coils are 15mm o.d. The 22mm and 15mm are very thick walled. Certified low carbon steel tubing is used, NOT stainless steel.

The big problem is finding a firm that has the skill to bend such thick walled pipe and weld it into a continuous pipe. Coded welders are required, preferably with oil rig experience.

The spec of the tubing is:-

4139 round tubing per AMS T 6737 Condition N

Had to import mine from Los Angeles as none available in UK or Europe. The steel stockists in the UK and Europe had never heard of this spec before.

Posted by: (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 07:34PM

Might want to get a hold of Clayton Industries.

[www.claytonindustries.co.uk]

If nothing else they may be willing and able to wind and weld up some coils.

Caleb Ramsby

Posted by: (78.150.39.---)
Date: March 18, 2009 03:50AM

Hi everyone, on a similar note I am looking for 10ft of 1/2" od seamless thickwall mild steel tube (at least 10g wall), for my Lune Valley vapouriser. I have tried all the usual sources, including hydraulic suppliers.
I would be greatful for any ideas.
Best regards John Hill

Posted by: Rolly (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 12:03PM

Hi everyone, on a similar note I am looking for 10ft of 1/2" od seamless thickwall mild steel tube
John Hill

John try
Alaskan Copper & Brass Company

Portland
P.O. Box 5067
Portland, Oregon, 97208-5067
2440 Southeast Raymond (97202-4638)
Phone (503) 238-7171
Toll Free (800) 552-7661
Fax (503) 238-6849
acbpdx@alaskancopper.com

You can get standard pipe IPS ¼ inch is .540 OD or 1/8 is .405 OD
A-106 is seamless and rated at 2500 PSI with a working temperature of 1000F
This is readily available from boiler pipe suppliers and comes in 20 footers.
I am not sure you will have much luck finding A-178 boiler tube in small sizes.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/19/09 02:56PM by Rolly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC