Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Latest Project
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: December 10, 2013 12:30PM

Hi all,
I am now gathering parts to build a 1901 Locomobile steamer, I have a banded engine, springs, wheels, and patterns to make various components, including the differential. I will obviously need to get some of these parts cast in the nearish future, would anyone like to have some parts cast at the same time and thus hopefully diminish the cost? I also have the patterns for a number of engine components. Also, I would be interested in any other Locomobile parts.
Happy Steaming
George.

Re: Latest Project
Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range31-52.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 11, 2013 02:41AM

George

Neil Bygrave is also building one and is after the same items, his Contact details from the Wanted Page are:-

Telephone No. 07706402736
E mail: Neil.bygrave.75@gmail.com

Best of luck with the project

Regards
Ian

Date: December 20, 2013 04:27PM

Hi all,
Thanks to everyone who replied (some did by e-mail). My engine currently has a displacement lubricator on it for the steam cylinder oil. As I plan to use super heated steam instead of the original wet/saturated steam, would it be better to fit a mechanical lubricator? Thanks. George Hounslow.

Posted by: Keith THORPE (---.ip.skylogicnet.com)
Date: December 23, 2013 10:29AM

I have a commercial crown wheel and star gear set in mine and could do with making it more like the original so I would also be interested in any axle components
Tel 07860 311395 Lincs

Date: January 1, 2014 06:33AM

Hi all,
Keith-If I have axle components cast, I'll let u know.

I now have my engine in pieces for a rebuild. However,the eccentric cams are stuck on the crank, does anyone know how to remove these without damage?
Thanks and Happy New Year to you all.
George.

Posted by: (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 2, 2014 03:11PM

Hello all,

First post here for me.

I am also building a 1901 Locomobile replica and maybe we can be of help to one another.

My name is Ron and I'm in the states near Detroit.

Attachments: IMG_3475 (Medium).JPG (125kB)  
Date: January 2, 2014 03:21PM

Hello all,

First post here for me.

I am also building a 1901 Locomobile replica and maybe we can be of help to one another.

The chassis is almost finished and the engine has been rebuilt, going to use an Ofeldt boiler (which is almost finished) instead of a firetube.

I am keenly interested to find a casting or pattern or info on the open bevel gear differential. Also, the steering arms.

Re: The eccentrics on the crank. I wound up making a new crankshaft, new eccentrics from bronze and installed sealed roller bearing on the lower end. The crankshaft assemblies I think were meant to be a one shot deal. As no measures were taken to allow for disassembly and repair. On one side, the nut which is left hand thread can be used to push them off, the other side has nothing to work with. In every case where I have seen these eccentrics removed, it has involved a torch and cutting the inner band around the crankshaft. And they were still difficult to remove.

Attachments: IMG_3484 (Medium).JPG (130kB)  
Date: January 2, 2014 03:24PM

Hello all,

First post here for me.

The chassis is almost finished and the engine has been rebuilt, going to use an Ofeldt boiler (which is almost finished) instead of a firetube.

I am interested to find a casting or pattern or info on the open bevel gear differential. Also, the steering arms. What size gears, teeth and pitch?

Re: The eccentrics on the crank. I wound up making a new crankshaft, new eccentrics from bronze and installed sealed roller bearing on the lower end. The crankshaft assemblies I think were meant to be a one shot deal. As no measures were taken to allow for disassembly and repair. On one side, the nut which is left hand thread can be used to push them off, the other side has nothing to work with. In every case where I have seen these eccentrics removed, it has involved a torch and cutting the inner band around the crankshaft. And they were still difficult to remove.

-Ron

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/02/14 03:25PM by IronChief.

Date: January 2, 2014 03:28PM

Here are some more pictures:

Attachments: IMG_3385 (Medium).JPG (96kB)   IMG_3389 (Medium).JPG (120kB)  
Date: January 3, 2014 04:39AM

Hi Ron,
You've done a good job on the chassis! Thanks for the advice on the crank and eccentrics, what grade materials did you use? As for the chain and gearing, the original 1901 Stanhopes had a 2.5 to 1 gearing, and used a 3 1/4x51/6 inch roller chain, which is apparently no longer available as a standard size. I plan to use a 1 inch pitch roller chain with modern sprockets. I can check the numbers of teeth and sizes on my grandfather's 1900 Mobile if you wish? I have patterns for the steering arms and differential. Hope this helps.

I'm now getting my engine ready for cleaning and painting. I reckon I need to give the bores a hone, fit new piston rings and lap in the valve faces. I am also hoping to fit a mechanical lubricator and a drip feed oilers for the crank bearings (which I think should be replaced by modern ones) instead of vaguely spraying at them with an oil can! The eccentrics on the crank are plain bearings, is this correct?

Does anyone have eccentrics suitable for a 2 1/2x31/2 banded Locomobile engine, that they are willing to sell?

Thanks
George.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC