Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
floats for fuel & water tanks
Posted by: fowlerfrank (---.range86-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 27, 2014 12:40PM

Hi there everybody
another silly question -- Has anybody made or had made( and if so by whom) the floats for the fuel & water tanks as all of mine are corroded and holed .They appear to be made out of approx 0.005 thou shim and i have not had any success in spinning ( i dont seem to be able to "loose" the xs metal)when making the 2 halves ,there is a definate "black art " art to this .have also tried turning tube and soldering turned ends on but this was much too heavy as i was unable to turn it thin enough !!. I can probably get away with a modern nautical tank sender for the fuel but i suspect that the plastic float and transducers will not like the hot water from the condensate return on the water tank , however the obviously plastic gauges and sender units will look horribly out of place on the dashboard Etc and not at all origional. floats are approx 0.810 " dia x1.570"long with central tube 0.145"o/dia 0.115" bore flatened at one end to take the magnet turning strip , and pin 0.045" dia sticking out the side to go in the helical slot in the outer tube .
Hopefully Yours
Frank

Re: floats for fuel & water tanks
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2014 01:58PM

Yes I have done some spinning, not my greatest work, can be intimidating.
All I can say is anneal, anneal, anneal.
These floats were made years ago for hot well floats on steamboats. These also were a bit heavy. The last ones I made were thinner material and each end spun in one shot. Just two half’s soldered together. Don’t give up.
Rolly

Attachments: P4270003.JPG (108kB)  
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2014 03:29PM

Frank
Another thing I should have mentioned from my limited experience on spinning is the better finish of the die you spin over the better finish of the spinning.
Rolly

Attachments: P4270004.JPG (161kB)  
Posted by: les nelson (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: June 20, 2014 06:32PM

I made floats by pressing two hemi spheres, dress ends in lathe and silver solder two haves together, dies have to be made but can be wood, and the female ring from steel, and as said anneal well as soon as edges start buckle, tap out buckles and anneal then press ad infinitum till complete, place one half on some insulating
material on drill table put brass rod in chuck and after fluxing locate the two halves and use the brass rod as a clamp to hold the two halves together for soldering.hope this helps . works for me, .025" copper sheet

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC