Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Head safety
Posted by: Stork (---.mia.fl.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 7, 2016 12:20AM

I started thinking today about head safety... and as far as I can tell, wearing a Bell racing helmet will not look right while I cruise around in my Lykamobile.

Next on the list would be bike helmets... since my speed will be roughly what I travel on my road bike (15 to 25 mph) I figure it would be adequate, yet a bike helmet will not look the part.

Then I though, how about a riding helmet. That could work... it has that classic feel but its still not right.

And after some internet surfing I found a deerstalker helmet... that could work! but I can't find who makes them! And according to this site I should never wear it... but I am riding a 1899 Steam car... come on! Give me some break!

[www.complex.com]

But to be honest I rather go classic...

Which lead me to my bowler hat, and the question at hand is why isn't there a safety blower hat design? Well there is, or better said there was. I found one from Bobbin bicycles but it looks like they don't make them anymore... Here is what it looked like:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

So I began to search some more. There had to be a solution, and then I found the following story:

[www.horsenation.com]

Granted its an expensive brain protector... but my 3 brain cells are worth the price.

So I have been left to my creative juices and I pulled out my old Davida helmet. I am going to play around with it for a bit to see if I can make it look like a Bowler, in the mean time if anyone knows of a hatter making these types of protective bowler helmets let me know... because I would be a buyer!

Enjoy your weekend!

Lucky #17 Lykamobile MK 2 builder

Re: Head safety
Posted by: Tim Senior (---.range86-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 7, 2016 07:06AM

Christies make the "Fur Devon Bowler" This has a pad in the crown held by Tapes. This hat is very stiff and meant for riding But it will cost you £180.

Date: May 7, 2016 08:07AM

Found a good contender... but one has to paint it flat black (which should be easy to do... the issue is they don't provide a size, well a typical hat size chart...

[www.thebeijingshop.com]

Date: May 7, 2016 09:32AM

Good news... well, for those of us in the US. I found a hatter that specifically makes Bowlers/Derby hats to fit over helmets.

I have sent out an email and will let you know pricing when I get the information.
I am sure it will be expensive. But again, my brain and yours are worth it.

Here is the site page... click on the video (top of the page) and towards the end of the video he shows the helmet hat:

[www.dbarjhat.com]

It looks very big, but remember that is for the larger motorcycle helmets... we don't need that much protection at 20 mph. So for a low profile helmet/bike helmet it will look much smaller.

Here is a decent low profile, and DOT approved helmet that you can buy on eBay:

[www.ebay.com]

Have a good weekend!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC