Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Converted cars to steam
Posted by: Old timer (213.40.122.---)
Date: April 25, 2009 03:05AM

Hi,
I think converted steam cars are very interesting. My Grandfather ( Richard Hounslow) used to own the Hupmobile.When people convert cars do they more often make or fit a original steam car engine to the car or convert the original petrol/diesel engine? I know the Hupmobile's engine was converted to steam and heard that the Morris minor "The Windrush Moggie" engine was converted to steam also. I think I heard people putting steam car engines into the cars and the not used the original engine.So what is more more often used? Old Timer

Re: Converted cars to steam
Posted by: (81.168.70.---)
Date: April 25, 2009 03:36AM

Hi Old Timer,

I have Peter Barrett's car, which is based on an old style VW Beetle, although the body is very different. The engine is also built on a VW Beetle engine. Only 2 of its cylinders are used. I understand the air cooled VW engine is a popular choice for conversion. I have heard of all four cylinders being used, with the crankshaft being sawn in two & welded back together at 90 degrees to enable starting from stall.

Jay Carter made a very successful steam car based on an air cooled VW car, but its engine was scratch built; as was David Beale's Reliant Fox.

I believe Peter Barrett's earlier experiments included a Triumph Spitfire with a converted outboard engine.

I didn't realise Richard Hounslow owned the steam Hupmobile. Jowett horizontally opposed twin, with steam going through the original poppet inlet valve the opposite direction, wasn't it?

Greg

Posted by: Old timer (213.40.102.---)
Date: April 28, 2009 03:07AM

I believe so. Old Timer

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/28/09 03:07AM by Old timer.

Posted by: (---.246-7-195.ippool.ndo.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 11:00AM

I grew up in Beckenham, Kent in the early '50s and remember well the older brothers of a friend of mine who had or was converting a Jowett engine in a chassis to steam around about 1953 or '54.

I never saw it go but recall it looking very interesting. I was however only 9 or 10 years old and the nearest I got to real steam was with Mamod engines! The family name of the brothers was Gregory and they lived in Albermarle Road.

Hope this may be of interest.

Regards

Mike Mutters

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC