Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley brake link repair
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 05:49AM

Taking down the brakes on our 607 to reline them found one of the 'inside links' on the brake bands, that hold the fived end of the bands, (Stanley part number 44GR in the 1913 parts catalogue) had fractured - photos attached.

These links are retained by, or even soldered onto, the brake shaft bushing; I expect I will have to drive out the bushing to make a new link and fit it, but before going any further thought I'd ask if anyone else had any expereince of repairing these.

Attachments: IMG_3092_small_inside_link.JPG (230kB)   IMG_3097_Inside_link_small.JPG (209kB)   IMG_3086_inside_link_broken_small.JPG (211kB)  
Re: Stanley brake link repair
Posted by: SSsssteamer (50.35.56.---)
Date: December 7, 2018 11:40AM

Peter, I would either make a new link to replace the broken link, or weld up and re-machine the old one. My bushings are all pressed in, not soldered in. I think that the solder that you see is a repair attempt from the past. Never solder any brake parts. There isn't any strength in solder as compared to welding the part.

Re: Stanley brake link repair
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: December 7, 2018 05:49PM

Thanks, got the bush out, it was pressed in, the link fits over the outer end of the bush, and is soft soldeed to it, so bush snd link are a unit. The Stanley 1913 parts list gives left snd right hsnd numbers for these parts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC