Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12345678Next
Current Page:1 of 8
Tell us where you have been
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brnt.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: June 8, 2009 04:09PM

To complement the "In my Shed Today" thread, here is a thread to show events or places you have been to.

This weekend a group of us went to Markham Grange Steam Museum near Doncaster. We were expecting poor weather so got more i/c cars along than steamers but had nearly 20 people with two Stanleys, a de Dion, a Hudson Terraplane, a Model A Ford, an Austin 10 and a 1925 Vauxhall 14/40.

The Museum is well worth a visit and here are a few pictures. The big horizontal engine is of 700hp and is about 80 feet long with a flywheel maybe 18 feet in diameter. Almost all the engines were in steam, powered by a boiler running on MDF scrap from a kitchen unit manufacturer nearby. Well worth a visit. Look at the website
[www.mgsteam.btinternet.co.uk].

Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 06/08/09 04:10PM by Mike Clark.

Re: Tell us where you have been
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 01:40PM

Our 1911 Stanley model 85 recently attended the Omak Car show in Omak, Washington picking up both best of show and best in class in over 100 vehicles on display. Tomorrow morning we are taking our 1916 Stanley Mt. Wagon to Estes Park, Colorado where they are celebrating the centennial of the Stanley Hotel. Many are attending without their steam cars and we will have empty seats for those passengers. Grant Goold, John Goold, and Justin Goold will also be there and they will get their pick of three Stanley mountain wagons there in which they can ride.

Attachments: \'16 Mt Wagon on San Juan Island.jpg (48kB)   1911 Model 85 in 2009.jpg (144kB)  
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brhm.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 12, 2009 02:08PM

To revive this thread - just been on a visit to France with my French Salmson sports car and looked for steam cars in museums. Found several and a steam motorcycle. Here is the famous La Mancelle steam carriage of Amedee Bollee made in 1878. This was pretty much the first motor vehicle with what became the conventional chassis layout of engine at the front and transmission by prop shaft to drive the back wheels, in this case by chain. The amazing thing is that it has independent front suspension with top and bottom transverse leaf springs and steering uprights such as are still used today. Even has rack and pinion steering and a divided track rod.
This is in the Motor Museum at the Le Mans 24 hr Circuit.

Mike

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 10/12/09 07:31PM by Mike Clark.

Attachments: La Mancelle.jpg (68kB)   La Mancelle steering.jpg (74kB)  
Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range81-147.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 22, 2011 05:27PM

Hi All,

Thought I would revive this thread with our first outing this year with our Stanley. Last weekend we attended the Great North Steam fair at Beamish museum which is situated near the town of Stanley (now there’s a good name) in county Durham.
I had to wait till 8.00pm to take the attached photo after all the visitors had gone home.

Don.

Attachments: Beamish 30.JPG (248kB)  
Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 6, 2011 05:51PM

Here’s another photo taken at Beamish, this time by Colin Slater showing our 1911 10hp Stanley meeting the 1931, 125 ton Ruston Bucyrus steam navvy. This was one of the last steam powered navvy’s to be built by Ruston Bucyrus and is the largest remaining.

Attachments: Beamish 45.jpg (130kB)  
Posted by: (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 7, 2011 12:16PM

Hey Donald,

WOW!!!

It is amazing that such a small car can tow such a large machine! Ahhhh, the power of steam!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Those are some great photos.

The one in front of the Beamish Motor and Cycle Works looks like it was lost in time.

Caleb Ramsby

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 8, 2011 07:08AM

Thanks Caleb,

Beamish open air Museum has been open to the public for over 40 years and we believe this may have be the first time that a steam car has exhibited at the museum.

Don.

Posted by: (Moderator)
Date: May 8, 2011 03:19PM

Although we only returned home on Friday 29th April after steaming 1028 miles in Australia over 3 weeks with our Stanley Model R we steamed up our Stanley Model 70 two days later and drove 15 miles to Wroxham Barns to join the Wymodham Old Timers Rally. We joined the Morris 1000 line up and found our car generated lots of interest. Fellow members of the North Norfolk Morris Minor Owners Club asked us when we're likely to be joining on events with "Windrush" our steam powered Morris pickup. The answer was not this year but we are taxing & insuring it ready for the road.

Our Model 70 hadn't been in steam since the Presott Hillclimb last October, we had a few issues including algae growing in the fuel tank which bunged up the fuel filter, this was a quick fix. We also had to replace the main fuel valve which leaked. We steamed up again the next day and drove 20 miles to visit John & Madge Liming without problems.

Basil & Vicki

Posted by: SUPER7591 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: May 8, 2011 05:11PM

For the last two months I have been making up the brackets, glass templates, wood plinth etc to enable me to fit a windscreen to the Model M, The 8th May was a target date for completion as I had been asked by my next door neigbour if I would take his daughter to church in it for her wedding. Having never done this before, I lost a lot of sleep worying that something would go wrong and spoil her day, In the end all went very well and the car looked the part dressed up in ribbons with just a small bunch of white flowers on each of the rear hood irons.

Harold Bell

Attachments: stanley a 8.5.11.jpg (222kB)   stanley 8.5.11.jpg (23kB)  
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 8, 2011 09:17PM

Harold, A mighty fine looking Model M you have there and a nice job fitting the wind screen. It sure would be nice to see another model M Stanley on the road. You have a rare car to be proud of.

Goto Page:  12345678Next
Current Page:1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC