Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: An electric oil winker
Posted by: ron parola (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 02:12PM

I'm using Mobil Hecla 600 weight in my condensor, so far so good. Someone had installed a winker in place of the oil gauge but I have removed that and replaced it with a modern pressure gauge within an original gauge case (internals were missing) I'm using a 500 psi gauge, figureing I'll never see full boiler pressure on the steam line,an indeed I've only seen 450, and the lower guage would be more accurate. With the winker, if the oil line breaks at the steam line the winker will still wink, regardless if any oil is getting to the engine. With a guage you can see steam line pressure, or steam chest pressure if connected back there. This is very reactive to throttle position or even road level. The higher the steam pressure the higher the oil pressure must be to overcome it, this doesn't work at very low speeds or closed throttle, but you can test guage pressure by opening and closing throttle quickly, before the car responds the gauge will.Cheers Ron P

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 05:48PM

Hello Ron - I'm pleased to see you read this forum and thanks for your comments.

I have a pressure gauge tee'd into the oil pipe between the winker and the steam line so I always know that the oil pipe is not broken or blocked but it still doesn't prove that the oil is flowing when I cannot read the winker. I suppose a gauge (with a restricted inlet to damp out pulses) fitted to the oil line on the pump side of the winker would help. This is pretty much what you have on your condensor car as I assume your gauge is on the pum,p side of the check valve.

Mike

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: April 5, 2007 05:18PM

I finally changed to Morris' ST1000 steam oil instead of the 600 grade - its a devil to pour and get into the tank but I'm glad to say that I can now see the winker very well even in sunlight. I suppose the thicker oil builds up to a bigger glob in the winker window before the indicator piston moves away from the glass.

The 1000 grade is too thick for my drip feed system to the rest of this "dry" engine so I've had to order some more of the 600 for that job. No bad thing as I've found the tallow compound 600 oil keeps the engine absolutely spotless - all the dirt falls out onto the road with the total loss system - good for me - bad for them.

Mike

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC