Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page:1 of 58
Whistling Billy Replica
Posted by: Fire-Drop_Technologies (---.cedarnetworks.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:11PM

Only Three things I can note about your car that are not True to the studies I did in Highschool and automotive history studies. First the Wistling billy used a multi tube boiler,"inspiration for my own" And The rear end would have been from a 1907 Thomas Flyer and had two speeds. Same car that Won the Race Across America. Portraid in the movie "The Grate Race" And thirdly The chasis you have built is oof right nature but the original was a frame taken from the 1906-1907 American undrslung Companys Mid Class car The Small Sport about Fiat Topelido Inspired Vehical. Cudos On such an awsome Job from so little Reffranc material. I only know these thing As I had a Full technical refferance manual "like a Chiltons" From 1907.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/14/12 09:26AM by alpinemauve.

Re: Wistling Billy Replica
Posted by: (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 02:13PM

Richard,

Aparently White also built a time machine, seeing as how they raced "Whistling Billy" as early as July of 1905.

There were a lot of race cars using underslung at that time, actually the first cars from the American Underslung Company didn't use underslung frames, it wasn't until their second year that they started to use them.

Caleb Ramsby

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/22/10 12:58AM by Caleb Ramsby.

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2010 09:24PM

Hi Richard,
I'm sorry to say I have removed your forum post where you made an unnecessary comment to Caleb. The 'Whistling Billy' race car being built is about as close as it can be to the original. Bob Dyke is recognised as one of the best authorities in this country when it comes to White Steam Cars, if anyone is going to get it correct, Bob will. I can only hope your style of making comments posted on the thread about Bob Dyke's car is your way, but your tone and manner will cause offence, hence the remarks in posts returned.

May I suggest that you write your post in a word document where the spelling will be corrected and you will have more time to consider what you are saying, you can then cut and paste to the forum, making your posts easier to read.

For you and everyone interested, I will add more detailed pictures of Bob Dyke's 'Whistling Billy' soon, and you will be able to see how good it is.

best regards, Jeff. (Webmaster)

Date: September 22, 2010 03:53PM

What Is inapropreate about asking Caleb why he keep's Making Derogetory and Argumentitive Coments any time I post a resopnc or asdk a question?
Dose he hate me is not an uncalled for Statment nore is it rude it is simply an inquirey as to why he seems to spend extra time looking up my posts and takes time to Make Agrument against them even when they Are true or well stated Sir. If you wont post this? At least ask him to stop confronting me in a rude fashion.

Date: September 22, 2010 03:56PM

And for what it's worth?
The 1907 underslung was built before 1907 as well, But no existing pictures of one exist predating 1907. Thank you for speeking your mind But please keep in mind I'm not a bithering idiot either Caleb.

Date: September 22, 2010 04:26PM

Note how white And Thomas Shar Coach work?
This model 35 had a two speed rear end Whites, used the same production type rear end as this Quite Highly praised car.
[www.supercars.net]
Here is a second Schematic or drawing showing said rear end.
[www.american-automobiles.com]
and the American underslung,
[www.american-automobiles.com]
About the boiler.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 4 times. Last edit at 09/22/10 04:46PM by Fire-Drop_Technologies.

Date: September 22, 2010 04:40PM

Hope this Will make My "Idiot" Blather more creditable.

Posted by: (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 04:42PM

Richard,

I am going to send you a private e-mail, there is no direct animosity, I have just been trying to set things straight, more in the letter.

Caleb Ramsby

Date: September 22, 2010 04:45PM

Ok,
Gladly hear you out sir.
FoiselRichard@yahoo.com

Posted by: Michael Dyke (95.149.79.---)
Date: September 22, 2010 04:52PM

The New York - Paris car has an elongated gearbox with the differential in it, then chain final drive to the rear wheels, the other chassis has what looks like a torque tube with the propshaft running inside it to a very bulbous rear axle, neither of these arrangements bear any resemblance to any White steam car rear end.
Whistling Billy was fitted with single speed version of White's standard axle as the standard two speed item was deemed unecessary and weighty in a racing car.
I hope this clarifies the reasoning behind the authentic single speed axle specialy made to the original specification that is fitted to my fathers Whistling Billy replica.

regards,

Mike Dyke.

Goto Page:  1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page:1 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC