Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
M.O.T
Posted by: (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 24, 2005 06:03PM

Is it possible to run a replica of an early car (steam or other) on the public roads legally? The vehicle licensing people tell me that the year of registration of a vehicle determines the requirements of the mot test. So a newly built replica of an early 1900's vehicle would need seat belts,modern standards braking etc. to enable it to pass a mot test. I know that some newish replicas exist so do they all run off road ?

Jack...

Re: M.O.T
Posted by: Bob (---.cable.ubr05.newt.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: September 19, 2005 04:58PM

Hi Jack,
In reply to the last part of your question, the short answer is....NO!

Date: September 22, 2005 06:18PM

Hello Bob,

Ok,I think from the tone of your answer that I get the message !!

Thanks,
Jack....

Posted by: charlie (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 03:59AM

I think that i am wright in saying that all steam powerd vichales are M.O.T exempt

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 11:52AM

Information from www.direct.gov.uk

Since 1 April 2001 all steam powered vehicles are exempt from road tax!

From 17th June 2003 motorcycles, three-wheeled and light four-wheeled vehicles (Locomobile replicas ??) had to comply with European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA).
As I understand it this requires all new build, or extensive rebuilds to pass the same SVA test as a kit car. The quantity of new against original parts will determine if an original or 'Q' plate is given.

Vehicles exempt from MOT are listed on form V112. Nothing is mentioned about steam cars, even under Authorisation Of Special Types. I am also sure there have been comments on this subject in Steam Car and the outcome was all cars require an MOT.

Any comments ?
Brian

Date: September 25, 2005 03:55PM

Yes Brian, that is how I see it.....all cars need an MOT. In fact you can't get the 'free' tax disc without one. So modern standards brakes, lights, seat belts etc.!! There is no concession for new build replicas....

Jack.

Date: September 25, 2005 04:31PM

You do not need an M.O.T to get a vehicle taxed, not all vehicles need an M.O.T ie traction engines and pre 1960 comercials. Thay just have to conform with the construction and use regs in force when thay where new. this is different to what is required for an M.O.T.This takes precedence over the M.O.T

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 08:11PM

Hi Charlie

Agree that not all vehicles need MOT, ref V112, but I think the original point being questioned by Jack is if modern replica 'cars' require an MOT.

Unless the car can be identified as a pre existing vehicle it has to be considered 'new'. In theory Ford cannot register their modern Model Ts because they are new build.
I read somewhere there are different standards dependant on weight limits, but that was before 2003.

Is there any one who has actually built and registered a car willing to comment, or are we opening a hornets nest?

Posted by: Alex Ollett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 07:23AM

Hi Folks,

I have expressed interest with Modelworks on their likamobile project, I missed a replica on Ebay only the other day, very nice built around 2001 in Northamptonshire and that was on a Q Plate.

Sorry I digress..The way I understand it, is its a bit of a performance and the prototype is going to have to be SVA tested, whether each individual builder has to do the same, I'm not sure...but thats how it looks, not sure about the construction and use regs, apparently the M/W likamobike falls into the Kit Car category! They reckon why Kit cars normally fail is emmissions, well can't be too much of a problem for steam cars surely?

So I'm waiting for further developments, will keep you posted when I know more.
~Alex~

Budding steam car owner...even if we gotta build one?

Date: September 26, 2005 02:37PM

Can any body confirm if all steam powered vehicles are mot exempt or not

Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC