Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
Re: M.O.T
Posted by: (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 26, 2005 04:16PM

Sorry to butt in Charlie, but just to make the point to Alex that it is as he says new replicas are considered kit cars,and as such they must pass a MODERN MOT test. So seat belts, brakes etc. and emmisions (if they will let you light up the burner near their expensive test equipment) all have to comply...so I don't think it could pass unless it was a 'modernised replica'. Do we know how far one would have to go to get a pass?

Jack.....

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:23AM

Just to confuse things!!

From the Locomobile / Stanley 2001 replica just sold on Ebay
Quote,
"Current boiler certificate until May 2006. Fully comprehensive insurance for road use costs about £60 per annum. Road tax is free and it does not require an MOT certificate."

When it was sold last year the original builder emailed me that it was registered as
"Stanley Locomobile 2 axle rigid body saloon tax class steam vehicle"
and lights "Require modification for night use"

Posted by: Alex Ollett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:05AM

Brian, You beat me to it, I was just going to grab that info and post it, Like the insurance cost, and MOT exempt would be nice too.

I will have another word with Modelworks reference MOTs as I am sorely tempted, but prefer it to be road legal, and not to be an ornament.

Jack, I realise about the potential pitfalls with the MOT having seen Modelworks prototype I can assure you theres no seatbelts or concessions to modern motoring (only disc brakes on one axle), and I want clarification before starting to build one, as retrofitting MOT items is not something I want to do.

Regards
~Alex~

Posted by: Rob O'Callaghan (---.range86-136.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 06:40PM

Hi,
I went down this route a while back and couldn't work out if it would be road legal or not. Now I understand to get a SVA is very different to an MOT. So for example if you have a kit car and it has sharp edges you can put tape over the offending items for the SVA and remove it later! Now if you made a kit to fit to the model works car (lights, bumpers etc etc) for the sva. Put it in for the SVA and get a V5C and number plate would it also be MOT free? If so then its not a problem... We can make a SVA kit and pass it around smiling smiley

If a MOT is still needed, what is needed?

My car (Petrol 1933) had broken wipers and the motor (mounted on the winscreen) needed rewinding. So I removed the whole lot (blades/motor etc) and becuase they wern't fitted for the MOT it passed?

So really we need to understand whats needed for an MOT on a modern steam car?

Rob.

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 06:06PM

From the pages of Steam Car

No 4 July 1999
Did you know that our steam cars are exempt from the dreaded M.O.T.? By Jeff Theobald

No 5 October 1999
Steam cars and the law. By Phil Hope. Rebuttal to Mot exemption. "This is NOT the case unless the car weighs more than 3.5 tons. Suprisingly steam cars cannot be registered as steam propelled vehicles"
also
Steam Cars and the MOT. By David Beale "steam vehicles NOT an exempted category"

No 17 October 2002
Chaiman's Report By Bill Rich. quote "We all have to have one even if you have a Science Museum certificate which exempts the historic vehicles from certain parts of the Construction and Use legislation."

I know this doesn't help with new builds but thought I'd show it's not a new or resolved subject.

Brian

Posted by: Bob (---.cable.ubr05.newt.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 1, 2005 04:51PM

Hi All,
The D.V.L.A. have clarified the position re steam cars. As from the begining of this year all vehicles powered by steam that have a gross weight of less than 3.500Kg require a standard M.O.T. Bob.

Posted by: Lesley Jones (---.energis.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: October 14, 2005 06:43AM

Bob
Can I ask where you got this information from as this would mean that all steam models and miniatures, as well as all steam cars, would need an MOT which is ludicrous.
From a very concerned Lesley Jones

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2005 07:27AM

Hi All
I have followed the comments about MOT’s with interest. As you know I wrote a small piece about it in our magazine some years ago, but things have changed since then, with the coming of computer controlled MOT stations and licensing offices.

This year for the first time I was unable to tax the Brooks at the local Post Office without a current MOT as the computer would not allow it. Whereas taxing the Stanley EX was not a problem, with no MOT being asked for. I have written to the DVLA and asked for a clear ruling that we can all understand.

This is the reply I received recently……….

“I can confirm that there is an exemption from heavy goods vehicle testing scheme for steam propelled vehicles weighing over 3500kgs. However there is no similar exemption from the MOT scheme for vehicles weighing up to 3500kg gross.”

Clear enough, one would think, but as always the next paragraph muddies the waters, a little with….

“I regret that I am unable to provide any further information. May I suggest that you contact the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) as they are the authority on testing and will be able to deal with an individual enquiry on testing legislation. They may be contacted on 0870 6060 440 or you may wish to visit the VOSA website: www.vosa.gov.uk “

On making inquiries to this office, It seems that all this variation in requirements for steam cars, has come from the fact that when in the past an owner of a steam car has applied to register their car, depending on the DVLA office used and the clerk concerned, they may have assumed that a steam propelled vehicle must be very heavy, or they have not read their own small print to see the weight limit, and have given the steam propelled ruling ie: “NO M.O.T. REQUIRED”.

It seems that Granddad rights apply, at the moment the advice is, if your renewal reminder does not ask for an MOT then you will not need one, whereas a newly registered car will.

My advice is, if you are lucky enough to have Granddad rights don’t shout about it, otherwise accept that you will need an MOT with the rules applied for the year of MANUFACTURE. I hope this clears things up for everyone, all the best, Jeff.

Posted by: Alex Ollett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 12:25PM

Thanks for that Jeff..

Oh Dear...

Thats blown my replica idea out of the water then, I best get the piggy bank out and start saving for the real item.
~Alex~

Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 01:26PM

Whilst it may be possible to obtain a tax disc for a 'steam propelled vehicle' weighing less than 1525KG, without providing an MOT certificate, it is still not legal to use the vehicle on the road.

In the event of an accident one could find oneself liable to prosecution if no current MOT certificate is available for inspection. The snag is finding a testing station with a sympathetic view of elderly vehicles without brakes!

Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC