Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Is this is steam motorcycle?
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.winn.dial.virgin.net)
Date: August 30, 2005 05:35PM

[photos21.flickr.com]

This came up on the VSCC web forum with the suggestion that it might be a steam motorcycle. I don't think it is - I think it is a very odd German(?) i.c bike with a direct acting (conrods to spindle) engine hence the very small rear wheel.I have a picture of one somewhere. Does anyone else know better?

Mike

Re: Is this is steam motorcycle?
Date: August 30, 2005 06:27PM

Found some pictures of the thing now - could be it.

I don’t think it is a steam motorcycle - not enough space for steam generator and in any case you wouldn’t need such a small wheel with steam torque.

I’m no expert on motorbikes but remebered a picture of a very odd motorcycle which had a pair of horizontally opposed cylinders with no normal connecting rods, just a strut between the pistons which had a central gudgeon pin sliding in a pair of slots (steam engine crosshead fashion) and took the little end of a long connecting rod straight to the back spindle. No clutch and no gears, just scoot to go. If I am right that is why the back wheel is so small. It was called the Hildebrande and Wolfmuller Motorad. Couple of images here which look similar but not identical to our picture.

[www.cvmg.on.ca]
[www.cvmg.on.ca]

Date: August 31, 2005 05:14AM

Another fact - Hildebrande were the manufacturer of the earlier "Dalifol" steam bike which ran in the original 1896 Brighton Emancipation Run and which is now in the Science Museum.

Mike

Date: August 31, 2005 06:10PM

Latest conclusion from VSCC members is that it is a Holden of c 1905 - one of these is in the Science Museum Reserve collection at Wroughton. Much the same mechanical arrangement as the Hildebrande.

Mike

Posted by: martin christie (---.wspgroup.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 05:53PM

I remember 2 steam motorbikes that used to be on display at the science museum, kensington. I think the make was pearson cox. cant find anything like this on the net. or is it a figment?

Martin

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 03:58PM

Martin

A short history and picture of one science museum bike can be found by searching for pearson cox at www.scienceandsociety.co.uk.
Light Steam Power is a good 'old technology' source for more information if you need it.

Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC