Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Paint colours
Posted by: (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 21, 2009 04:06PM

Does any know the BS 381C, 4800 or RAL number for Stanley chassis yellow? I see from the website (http://www.steamcar.net/colour-specs.html) that it should be;

Bright yellow: John Deere Yellow; Dupont YS378

but my prospective painter/paint supplier cannot cross-ref these colours.

I am also trying to find the same for the red as used on (say) a 1907 EX.

It might be useful if anyone can provide a listing of all colours using RAL/BS numbers.

In case anyone is interested we have a really good paint supplier nearby;

[www.serenepaints.co.uk]

they do a great range and can produce any colour (but really need RAL/BS numbers!) and in quantities as small as 1 litre.

They also run a 'Vintage Colours Club' wherby a club can register paint info with them and receive certain benefits - is this something 'we' should consider?

I have used their '47' brushing enamel on a vehicle repaint and the finish was superb (even with my pathetic painting skills!)

Re: Paint colours
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2009 07:43PM

The Stanley’s never painted the early cars red. However when Frederick Oscar Bean brought the first Stanley home to the farm in Dixmont Maine, his wife Gertrude (Pauline) as she was called did not like the green color. Oscar told her the only other color was a blue. Wall grammar, Vesty Bean Oscar dear old mother spoke up and said she detested blue on any thing but the sky. Old Oscar pushed the Stanley into the barn. The next morning Gertrude wanted to see the car run. Oscar went to the barn and rolled out a beautiful red Stanley, and so was born the red Stanley. Down Maine barn red.
Rolly

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/21/09 08:17PM by Rolly.

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2009 08:19PM

Missed posting the Barn.

Attachments: Barn Red.JPG (133kB)  
Posted by: (---.range86-130.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 14, 2009 04:12PM

I have now been told by Jeff that the yellow for the chassis is BS381C code 310 - Primrose Yellow.

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 14, 2009 10:31PM

The bright John Deere Yellow was used on the 10 hp cars like the EX and the models 60 - 63. The larger 30 hp cars like the model 85 had yellow running gear but it was a little more suttle in color. This information was through Don Bourdon I believe. His family grew up using the Stanley steamers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC