Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Axle Stands for a Stanley - how?
Posted by: (---.nmsi.ac.uk)
Date: October 23, 2009 07:11AM

Anyone have any suggestions (or pictures of how it can be done) for adaping axle stands for a non-condensing Stanley. I would like to get mine on stands over the winter.

Re: Axle Stands for a Stanley - how?
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 09:39AM

Peter
I make up Axle jacking blocks. I only made up a few and have never used four to lift the whole car up on jack stands, but I don’t see why you cant. I am posting two PDF drawing for your use. Check your axle diameter, you may want to change the radius. I use contact cement and glue on leather and tuck in into the two grooves on the top, not explained on the drawing.

I need to state this is not my idea, I have never seen them used at any of the car tours I’ve been on but have been told of then and drew up what I understood them to be. They have worked fine for me.

Rolly

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/23/09 11:44AM by Rolly.

Attachments: PA230001.JPG (173kB)   axle jacking block-1 Model (1).pdf (18kB)   axle jacking block-2 Model (1).pdf (15kB)  
Posted by: (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 10:37AM

I don't put my Stanley or other antique cars on blocks over the winter. My thinking is if the house or attached garage caught fire me, the neighbors, and/or the fire fighters could easily push the cars out of the garage. With blocks or jacks you are stuck! Tom

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brnt.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 23, 2009 03:51PM

Peter,

Just use ordinary axle stands and place them under the bolt heads at the end of the perch poles - I know they are not under the centre line of the axle but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Just don't shove the car around too much while its up there!

Bugatti who had the same problem with a truss rod on the back axle used a split aluminium casting which straddled the truss rod, clamped onto the axle and formed a jacking point below the truss.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC