Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Acetylene headlights
Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 2, 2010 01:53PM

This is probably a bad idea - but I would like to reinstate the acetylene headlights on Stanley 7644.

Orignally there was a small acetylene cylinder on the running board ; as the car was new to the UK, a 'meteor' one perhaps - but it was stolen in the 1940s) - is there a modern equivalent that I can use? Has anyone out there actually done this?

Re: Acetylene headlights
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 2, 2010 08:52PM

Here in the U.S., most of the pre '16 cars that didn't originally have electric lights, had gas lights, if any. Just about everyone that has gas lights either are presently running an acetylene bottle on the running board or they have put electric bulbs inside the gas lights. Personally, I still run the gas lights as gas lights. They work well enough to use them at night. Not too many acetylene gas bottles are designed to be used laying on their side. Those bottles are still available but you have to search for them. I can usually get about 4 years of driving between refilling the acetylene bottle.

Posted by: (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 27, 2010 04:40AM

Hello Peter,
I run my acetylene headlights quite regularly but I use a generator on the running board. Calcium carbide is available from the caving people or a VCC member sells small quantities.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 27, 2010 02:43PM

Peter,

I ran mine on carbide from a running board mounted generator - worked fine although I would confine driving to minor country roads! If you need spares for carbide lamps Austin Parkinson is your man - he advertises de Dion spares in The Automobile. Warning don't use copper tubes to connect them as it reacts explosively with acetylene - use stainless steel or steel brake tubing instead.

Mike

Posted by: steve baldock (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 28, 2010 03:19PM

Hi Peter

I fitted acetylene lamps to my steam driven crawler. I would recommend that you use stainless tube only. The steel tube rusts quite quickly and will block your jets. Acetylene also reacts with silver, so be careful if you silver solder any of the joints. I used compression fittings. Perhaps that may be a bit of an over reaction given the small amount of silver present but it's best to be safe than sorry.

Regards

Steve

Posted by: (---.armstrong.com)
Date: September 28, 2010 03:51PM

Steam driven crawler? Might you have any pictures or descriptions? I assume you mean a tracked vehicle, perhaps with a dozer blade - does it use hydraulics for the lift cylinders? Steam cylinders would be fun but seem impractical for this application.

Posted by: steve baldock (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 28, 2010 04:59PM

Hi Kelly

Please see attached file. Its a 4" scale miniature of a Hornsby Chain Track Tractor, built in 1910. The full size one that is. This was my last project before starting on the Model R's.

There is a website with a bit of info on if you're interested

www.hornsbycrawler.org

Regards

Steve

Attachments: 0539b2c0.jpg (43kB)  
Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 02:10PM

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Stanley #7644's headlamps were run off a small acetylene cylinder (stolen in the 1940s!) on the running board. Looks rather awkward to source a replacement, so I will probably play safe & convert to electric. I can do this quite easily without damaging the orignal headlamps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC