Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
British Pathe
Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 26, 2010 07:12AM

I have just come across this excellent web site; “British Pathe” here are a few films containing steam cars, there could be more. The first four are of the Anglo-American car rally in 1954 including the Stanley H5.

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

Donald

Re: British Pathe
Posted by: (---.as43234.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 01:59PM

The Stanley in the auction clip, PJ 363, is listed in my copy of the VCC Handbook as a 1905 runabout, 10 hp car no. 1705.

Looks a fascinating early coffin nosed car, with tiller steering.

Very much like car 998 in Stanley Register Online.

Posted by: Rolly (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 03:07PM

Peter
The hood on the 1905 Model E #998 looks like the flat top hood of the 1906 DX I took a photo of.
Rolly

Attachments: 1906 DX Hood.jpg (85kB)  
Posted by: Michael Dyke (95.149.78.---)
Date: February 28, 2010 04:09PM

Hi all,
try typing "traction engine doctor" into the pathe search box, you will find some colour footage of my Grandparents (Bob & Eleanor Dyke) going shopping aboard "Prospector", the last remaining Foden showmans engine that they owned 50 years ago! Fantastic!
regards,
Mike Dyke.

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2010 04:53PM

Hi All,

What a smashing bit of film here's the direct link....... Jeff.

www.britishpathe.com

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 1, 2010 03:52PM

Here’s a couple more for your amusement

[www.britishpathe.com]

[www.britishpathe.com]

Donald

Posted by: (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 2, 2010 10:51PM

Ah, British Pathe; excellent historical resource. Though for some reason, I've never thought to search anything regarding steam automobiles; I've used it mainly as a source for footage regarding the Olympic Class ships.

And while it's not entirely related to steam automobiles (but then again, neither is the Titanic!), I watched a fantastic two-part documentary on Charles Parsons. Definitely worth the look if you have some time:

Part 1: [www.britishpathe.com]
Part 2: [www.britishpathe.com]

Jeff & Donald: Fantastic bits of film there; thanks for sharing! When I watch a lot of older news reels from the past, it seems as if there was a much greater sense of humor than there is today.

Now here's an excellent video for all of you; yesterday, I stumbled upon an older drawing of a steam car. However, this wasn't a Stanley, Doble, White... Or anything. It was a literal cross between a steam locomotive and automobile, as seen in the link below:

[img709.imageshack.us]

However, I found out today (thanks to this thread and British Pathe) that this wasn't a drawing from the imagination of a talented artist. Apparently, this was a real vehicle!

[www.britishpathe.com]

Wouldn't mind driving that around... Or at least have the plans! Looks like it's condensing, too (if it's actually steam driven; I have my doubts).

All the best,
-BB

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 03/03/10 04:49PM by Beau Brown.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC