Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: Long winded introduction
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 25, 2010 11:56PM

Dear Tom, You have the same set up that I presently have and you should have the same firing up performance too. Once your car has been oiled and fluid levels all checked, that is all of the more time that it will take to fire it up. However, it also takes practice and knowing just how much of what your Stanley needs when firing. After pre heating my branch forks and my Maxwell pilot, I often leave the propane torch hanging lit in the peek hole while comeing up to temperature with the main fuel. This adds a little more heat to the hot dog and also it insures that the pilot light doesn't accidentally go out. My torch tip is a good close fit in the peek hole. Make sure to turn your propane torch off before with drawing it from the peek hole or you may accidentally torch off the mixing tubes.

Posted by: (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 01:55PM

Thanks Pat. I'll let you know my fire-up time! TOM

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2010 07:40PM

Hi Nick,

I have sent you an email with the contact info you wanted, regards, Jeff.

Posted by: (163.232.56.---)
Date: May 30, 2010 09:03PM

starting time is less a matter of IF you can start quickly, but rather SHOULD you start quickly.
Boilers and steam plant require to be warmed evenly and this cannot occur if not allowed to soak through.
If you want longevity from any engine, internal or extenal combustion, it must be able to warm before stressing, with internal combustion, the oil must be pumped to the main bearings and a hydrodynamic wedge allowed to separate the metal components to prevent wear.
Steam engines also must be lubricated and allowed to warm/expand evenly to allow correct bearing alignment and reduce wear.

Boilers are metal and metal will expand as heated, unless done evenly you WILL overly stress the metal, reducing the life.

steam is a bit like sex, quicker is not better.

Posted by: (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: June 2, 2010 02:16PM

Thanks Dave. I will also consider your advice! My boiler has just been sweged (all tubes - top and bottom) and is holding! We found other problems in the process. Replumb site glass for easier cleaning. We have already rebuilt the burner (a major cleaning was in order). The throttle needs cleaning and adjustment, kerosene pump needs to be repacked, etc...

TOM

Posted by: Fire-Drop_Technologies (---.cedarnetworks.com)
Date: June 20, 2010 02:33PM

I would Agree to the earlyer post about Getting a white, if you intend to tour.
I belive it would be relitivly feesable to build a clone from Tommas Flyer parts and some standing engines that are available on the internet regularly. These have been prezerved for thier nature and skill of fabrication. Many of the boiler and feed and control fittings would have to be fabricated or re- cast. but the other components of the drive train,axles ect. are readly available as well as coach work.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC