Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Can anyone identify this vehicle?
Posted by: (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 24, 2010 03:33PM

Hi,

There are currently two threads on the aaca.org site (Antique Automobile Club of America) discussing the remains of an antique vehicle- what it was and what function it was supposed to perform. Appreciate any insight anyone can contribute.

I've attached a few pics below. There are about 80 photos at the second URL below. Thanks very much!

Buzz

[forums.aaca.org]

[forums.aaca.org]

Attachments: Unidentified vehicle DSC01887 40%.jpg (202kB)   Unidentified vehicle DSC01889 40%.jpg (186kB)   Unidentified vehicle DSC01890 50%.jpg (250kB)   Unidentified vehicle DSC01905 50%.jpg (235kB)  
Re: Can anyone identify this vehicle?
Posted by: Michael Dyke (95.149.78.---)
Date: May 26, 2010 05:24PM

Hi Buzz, I don't know about the rest, but the back axle looks like its from a White steamer from circa 1906- 1908,
regards,
Mike Dyke.

Posted by: (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 03:50PM

I once heard a story about an effort to build an energy storage scheme for trucks. The idea was to compress air when going downhill then expand it (for uphill) in a steam engine coupled to the wheels. Some kind of a prototype was built using a collection of steam car parts then available for junk. Since gas was $.23/gal. you can see why it didn't attract a lot of attention.

This was in central - western New York,about 1952.

The subject mystery car looks as though it could have been intended for a similar scheme.

John

Posted by: Fire-Drop_Technologies (---.cedarnetworks.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 04:17PM

The rear is a set of White model F or M powerplants, The axle is a White,or Thomas flyer two speed. They where from the same suplier. The forward engine?
Beats me! Could be a one off. but looks like a Doble Block. My guess? The remnants of the 1934 White Steam buss.

Posted by: Fire-Drop_Technologies (---.cedarnetworks.com)
Date: June 20, 2010 02:20PM

I saw a set of photos on it, it was built out of surpluss gear after the main company had been closed and their stock sold off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC