Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Trailers for a 10hp Stanley - what do you use?
Posted by: (---.nmsi.ac.uk)
Date: July 15, 2010 07:57AM

Calling all 4 seat 10hp Stanley owners - what make/specification of trailer do you use?

I am hunting for a trailer for my Model 607. Ideally I'd like a Ifor Williams CT177 like Jeff's - but having been outbid 3 times so far for ones on ebay it looks like I may have to find something a but cheaper - but what?

Thanks

Re: Trailers for a 10hp Stanley - what do you use?
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 01:33PM

I just looked at the CT177 trailer, nice open trailer. I used an open trailer for my 1920 Stanley. I Just don’t like hauling a nice steam car around on an open trailer in the rain. It drives water in everywhere.
Be it coincidental but my son just E-mailed me, he is on the way home from picking up my new trailer, a 16-foot V nose I ordered two weeks ago. 7 foot inside wall to wall and a 7 foot high door. Cell phones photo.
Rolly

Attachments: IMG00141-20100715-1129.jpg (47kB)  
Posted by: (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 26, 2010 05:22PM

I built my own trailer which many of you know.
It is based on a Bateson 16ft tilt-bed 3 1/2 ton open trailer which is easy to load. It took 2 weeks to make and ended up costing about £4,000 - the posh closed ones start at about £10,000. If you can find a sponsor to advertise on the plastic canvas sides they may well give you some goodies. I get a few free trips over the water to Europe for having a pretty boat on the side.
I can open the left side for exhibition/autojumble or ease of loading or just so us old boys can sit and chew the fat on the side. It has a cooker and sink in the front and I carry two beds, all my oils, a portable loo etc. The side and the rear open with little effort as they are assisted by back door air struts from the scrap yard.
It tows well at 60mph and takes my large 1908 White or Whistling Billy (14ft long and 6inches wider than the 1908 White. I do need a large 4 X 4 to tow it with the big car in it (I use a Toyota Land Cruiser).

The smaller 14ft bed trailer could well do as a base for the Stanley but I never know what I need to carry and the length makes little odds.

Posted by: (193.62.111.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 05:36AM

Thanks everyone for your input.

I finally bought a secondhand,2 yr old 3.5t Ifor Williams CT177 tilt bed trailer. Rather over the top for a Model 607 Stanley - however everyone said I should get a bigger trailer instead of one that would just do, and I was very impressed by the ease with which Jeff loaded our car onto his similar trailer when he took it to Sarah Bowler's for new upholstery. A cover for the trailer will have to wait until our car is on the road and its new garage is built...one day!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC