Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Exhaust gas flue
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 6, 2010 03:21PM

I notice that the long gas flue under the coffin nose cars only came in about 1908 and was not continued into the condensing cars. Does anyone know whether a pre 1908 EX or other model without the long flue poisons its passenger or has any other disadvantage?

I know in some cases the steam exhaust was used as a draft booster inside the gas flue but in my experience that was of no benefit, simply making the flue drip oil in my shed.

Mike

Re: Exhaust gas flue
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 6, 2010 07:18PM

Mike from what I have documented see photo attached unrestored 1905 model G all the cars that had the boiler in the front from 1904 to the condensing era had the exhaust duct’s back from the boiler, with the exception of the early H set up for racing. See photos in Kit Foster’s book page 141 & 191, good photos of the left side clearly with no exhaust duct.
However that does not mean the ones built for street use did not have the exhaust duct.

There were times in my 1920 I wish the duct extended back, in fact when I built the Derr boiler for the car I looked for a place, there was just no room unless it was wide and narrow and dropped below the front tie rod clearance.
Rolly

Attachments: 1905 model G.jpg (243kB)  
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 7, 2010 05:27AM

Thanks Rolly,

I still wonder about that - John Bentley Old time steam cars p36 shows a Model M, an FX and an H none of which has the flue. Also in Kit Foster (which I don't have to hand at the moment) there is a superb Model H photo from Brian Goodman and therefore most probably British registered - this is the H5 with full mudgards and also has no flue. The 1906 catalogue shows Model F, Ex and H with no flue. Jury's out!

It doen't surprise me that you felt the need for a flue which was why I asked the question.

The Model G - fantastic - have you any more pictures - I didn't know any survived.
Must have a large crankshaft gear to go with that axle. I bet that is a lightweight.

Mike

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 7, 2010 02:03PM

In artists drawings of early Stanleys, the boiler exhaust flue is usually deleted. In actual photographs, it is usually shown if there a good view of that side of the car. The only exception I found is on the early model H Gentlemen's speedy Roadster, located in "The Stanley steamer" page 141. The engine's small round exhaust pipe is directed over the rear axle without a boiler exhaust flue.This is probably a proto-type as the photo was taken in front of the Stanley Carriage Company Repair Department Building. On page 131, the 1906 Model F has a square exhaust flue extending beyond the rear axle. On page 143, the 1907 model EX shows a square shadow of what is most likely the exhaust flue. In the 1908 "Stanley Season Catalog", on page 8, the model M shows the engine's exhaust directed up into the boiler exhaust flue. In my 1906 "Price List of Parts for the Stanley", listed under "Smoke Flue for the 14 inch boiler" it is part number 324. For the 18" boiler it is part number 1324. For the 23" boiler, it is part number 2324, which sold for only $2.75 It is safe to assume that most all the new Stanleys produced with their boilers located in the front of the car through 1914, they had their boiler exhaust flues extending back out over the rear axle.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/09/10 10:34AM by SSsssteamer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC