Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
White steamers still in existance
Posted by: (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 08:06PM

Does anyone know how many Whites survive, and especially broken down by model type?

Many thanks

Re: White steamers still in existance
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.57.---)
Date: September 19, 2010 03:53AM

Hi Dannirr,
My family have a few white steamers. My Great Uncle has a 1902 Model B 6HP, a 1905 "Whistling billy" replica 15-20HP which he is building, A 1906 F 18HP and a 1908 model L 20HP. My other Great Uncle has a 1910 White 0 Doctors Coupe. My Grandpa has a 1906 White model F. The Dreelan Brothers have two cars in Ireland a 0 and 00 and there are a quite a few in America.Old Timer

Date: September 19, 2010 07:28AM

Thank you, that's great.

I'm trying to get an answer to rhe question I'm asked when people see my car - "how many of those are there?". I'd like to be able to say there are XXX White steamers still around (I've been told approx 150) and YYY Model E's (and I have no idea how many E's)

Thanks

Posted by: (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 04:53PM

I am not sure exactly how many Whites now exist.
More are being restored and rebuilt. Indeed I am rebuilding the engine and many other parts that were saved from a 1907 Model H with engine H4 that was written off in a head-on collision in London in 1908 when just a year old into a Whistling Billy replica. I am also restoring a 1906 car that was complete but totally in bits and never restored.
In the 1980's the late Joe Ersland compiled a White Steam Roster when about 150 cars were recognised but on my copy I wrote in a few more.
Nick Howell did a Roster in 2001 and he made the score 153. Some of these "cars" may well be engines and bits judging from my chats with the boys in the USA.
What would be a more interesting score would be how many are active and steaming --not very many- I believe it is 9 steaming out of 17 in the UK but I am working on getting more going!

Date: September 24, 2010 06:07PM

Excellent - and I am committed to keeping mine steaming on a regular basis, tours etc. As a dedicated old car guy, and someone who likes to tour the cars
both in the US and abroad, I am sure this car will get lots of road time!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC