Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page:44 of 51
Re: Whistling Billy Replica
Posted by: Steamcarbob (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 16, 2017 04:35AM

Just a test post

Posted by: Steamcarbob (---.range86-134.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 17, 2017 04:17AM

Good morning folks,
I have been back to my CAD drawer Rod and had a chat with him. The casters could well have used either product but after consideration went for the grey flake iron with 1% copper as the best option. I certainly was with both of you and would have initially gone for SG or Ductile iron 80-55-o6. I hope to have 10 of these made and certainly I hope to have some done in SG iron so that anyone wanting them will have a choice. The next stage is to machine these two and test the castings and pattern. I hope to start next week after our three day West of England Rally at Stithians this weekend.

I have completed the reassembly of my 1908 White Model"L" and had a drive around. I do not have enough heat in the steam but this is probably related to the ethanol in the fuel as that side I have not altered since last out. In fact the last time out, about two years ago, we climbed very steep hills with no problems apart from the front shaft of the rear axle bearing seizing and fracturing the shaft.
It is similar to the problems that I have had with the 1902 and 1903 Whites which disappeared when I went onto ethanol-free fuel in the Isle of Man. I have upped the diesel in the petrol to 25% to see if it improves. It did help to put the fuel pressure up from 50-55 psi to 60psi which has not been required before.
The rear axle is slightly more noisy than it was. I did slightly tighten the crown-wheel on the pinion which is probably a mistake although it looked as if it needed it.
I also note that half of the fellow on the right wheel is failing after 110 years. I believe that this had been replaced in the early days ( before it was taken off the road in 1915) with the wrong wood which had become worm eaten. I injected fibreglass into it 29 years ago and it has done well! That is a job for this winter and I will do little running in the meantime with this car.
Bob

Date: August 22, 2017 04:45AM

We had very wet West of England Steam Rally at Stithians but still managed to enjoy much of it, much spent chatting in the Hounslow trailer. I ended up taking my 1902 White which my eldest son William drove around the wet ring with his eldest daughter Polly and her friend Alice on the Saturday. The first day we had managed to erect an 8 X 4 meter tent which turned out to be the center of our little show with my 1908 White, George Hounlow’s nearing complete 1901 Porter which is a Locomobile look-a-like but with a complex original chassis and Nick Howell’s 1901 Toledo. On the Saturday I tried to steam the 1908 White only to find that I had bought the petrol for it and not put it in the car, it was in my workshop still! I was pleased to have taken the car home on the Saturday evening as the weather was so bad on the Sunday and loading and transporting the 1902 White was enough on the very soft ground!
Peter, George and Sarah Hounslow were there but just with the Porter, Chris Relf took his 1909 White Model “O” chassis and Mike James had the only Stanley which he steamed on the Saturday but Sunday was too wet all day for us to see it again. Martin Nutter came down with his home-made and quite efficient mono-tube “Likamobile”. He could not be persuaded to steam on the wet Sunday either. The rain did not stop all day.
My brother John came down to the rally with Anne on Saturday but sensibly no steamer. John has been steaming his White again after some fire damage to the right side of the body.
I had an incident with my 1908 White which could have been similar to his. I think that it is another fuel problem again with the ethanol. It is four years since I steamed this car before last week. The ethanol separates the petrol and diesel which I was already aware of as I find that I have to rock the car and fuel tank to make it burn cleanly on the early Whites. Sometimes the petrol vaporizes and burns alright but at the wrong temperature (as yet I do not know what temperature). The diesel does not vaporize and gets squirted into the burner base where eventually the liquid lights and has to burn off giving a hot fire which burns for some time even with the fuel off and no more fuel going into the burner.
I am going to try again with heating oil and this time a vaporizing additive, the short hot vaporizer (6 inches X 6 passes = 36 inches with rods fitted inside) and the three jets reduced from 0. 054 inch to 0.046 inch as recommended by Whites. I tried this several years ago without the additive and I could not get the fuel to vaporize properly then. The short vaporizer on the Whites is the hottest as almost all of it sits over the pilot light. The 8 inch vaporizer is the standard one and the long 10 inch one was used when alcohol was used as fuel (I would have thought that that was too light a fuel!). Putting the ¼ inch rods in the 5/8th inch vaporizer tube makes the vaporizing more efficient at a slightly higher temperature. This allowed a variety of fuels to be used once one had found the right combination for that fuel.
The early White vaporizers were 8 inches x 4 passes up to 1905 when the 6 passes became the normal. Whites only give details for Kerosene for the later vaporizers but only one fuel was used in the early ones so the pilot light must work off the same fuel which it will not do with kerosene.
I will attach a couple of pictures. I seem to have mislaid the shorter vaporizer. My camera remained unused this wet weekend so I have no pictures as yet of the gathering.

Date: August 25, 2017 04:16AM

Sorry, I am no longer able to attach pictures for some reason. I seem unable to go from the notes to the pictures!
Bob

Goto Page:  PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page:44 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
NPC - Sitemap