Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
White car - fuels
Posted by: (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 10:20AM

Hello all

As you have figured out by now, I'm new to all this still, so allow me an elementary question.

I know that others cars use a very clean fuel for the pilot. My car, a model E, has one fuel source for both pilot and main burner. I spoke with a Model E owner in the UK, and he uses petrol in his car. When I received my car, the tank was partially filled with Coleman gas and that is what I have still been using. However, it is not easy to buy in quantity and it is expensive.

What fuel is being used in the US (where I am)? Can I use unleaded petrol, or will this foul the vaporiser more quickly?

Thank you

Re: White car - fuels
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.40.---)
Date: September 22, 2010 12:02PM

Hi Dannirr what about using a petrol-diesel mixture. the diesel will make it hotter. Straight Petrol seems to work alright on the small runabouts, but the larger cars use a petrol diesel mixture.Or you could try kerosene. Old Timer

Date: September 22, 2010 04:23PM

Thank you. I spoke with a very good White source in the US, he advised Coleman fuel but if not practicle, straight unleaded gasoline. He goes for the cheapest no-name brand as they have less additives.

Posted by: (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 04:32PM

I run my later Whites on Hexane for pilot fuel
and unleaded 80% with diesel 20%.
The 1902 White I run entirely on unleade but recently I have been adding about 5% diesel with good effect. I think that the unleaded has recently been raised in octane as the 1902 car used to work well on pure unleaded but now needs the extra heat from the diesel.
The early pilot light is quite happy for many months on unleaded, the diesel added makes one spend a little longer pre heating it and getting it warmed through.
I find that the later pilot lights seem to clog up quite quickly on unleaded petrol,often in the same day,hence I use hexane.

Date: September 24, 2010 06:09PM

This is good news. Coleman fuel is not very practical to get, and certainly more expensive.

When my tank is depleted of the Coleman fuel, I will start using lowest octane unleaded gasoline.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC