Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: Steam turbine
Posted by: ArnoldWalker (---.consolidated.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 07:51PM

It was no less amazing to you than me.
15years ago,I would be on a long hill climb fighting to hang to the speed that I had.With the 300hp Detroit floored and wandering how much loger I can holdout
without downshifting.
Then a coal truck would blow by pulling two or three trailers
20 or30 mph faster than I could one trailer.
As ex-aircraft mechanic you was wondering about a way to get your truck to do better milage or power using waste heat.

Many diner napkins longer,I'm still not sure if I have the total answer to that one.

In time as I got interested in steam....realized that I was trying build a truck that was to the 21st century.What Sentinel was the 20th century......ironically
Leyland brought Sentinel and a US company Caterpilar bought Leyland.Inspite of
being little more than a memory by time Cat acquired Leyland ....I quess that would make Sentinel an American truck now.

In the same way Jeep and Frieghliner is a German company.

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:51PM

Arnold

I wish we could say some part of Sentinel survived but as I understand it the 'diesel' lorry business passed onto Transport Vehicles Warrington Ltd and folded in 1961.
Rolls Royce Diesel Division took over the railway business which in turn became Perkins Engines Shrewsbury. Perkins is now part of the Caterpillar empire.
Leyland and Foden trucks (both built steam wagons) survive under Paccar ownership.
The only other 'surviving' steam lurry (yes, lurry!) manufacturer I know of is Atkinson, now Seddon Atkinson owned by Iveco.

I suppose in a way the US has three of our steam truck companies and the Itallian's one.

Posted by: ArnoldWalker (---.consolidated.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:28PM

Paccar also absorbed White Steamcar...in that vain of logic.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC