Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:3 of 7
Re: Memories of Jeff
Posted by: Alan Sinclair (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: October 9, 2010 04:01PM

We only met Jeff and Pauline about three years ago but the impact they had on our lives with there generosity can not be overstated. The time they both gave helping me with renovating my steam car was far beyond the call of duty but Jeff and Pauline also became a dear friends and I will never forget him. Every time I order egg and gammon I will be thinking of Jeff as I don’t think it mattered what ever restraint we went to he would study the menu very carefully then order gammon egg and chips or for a change he once ordered ham egg and chips!!!! It’s so very sad to lose such a great friend so young.

Sylvia & Alan

Posted by: Alan Sinclair (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: October 9, 2010 04:11PM

We only met Jeff and Pauline about three years ago but the impact they had on our lives with there generosity can not be overstated. The time they both gave helping me with renovating my steam car was far beyond the call of duty but Jeff and Pauline also became a dear friends and I will never forget him. Every time I to order egg and gammon I will be thinking of Jeff as I don’t think what ever restraint we went to he would study the menu very carefully then order gammon egg and chips or for a change he once ordered ham egg and chips!!!! It’s so very sad to lose such a great friend so young.

Sylvia & Alan

Posted by: SUPER7591 (---.range86-172.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 9, 2010 06:56PM

Although I have only been a club member for just over a year, Jeff was very helpful in my quest to move into the field of liquid fired vehicles after nearly forty years with coal fired ones. His enthusiasm, dedication and knowledge will truly be missed.
Harold Bell Chairman of East Riding Engine Club (Driffield)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/09/10 07:04PM by SUPER7591.

Posted by: (---.range86-170.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 10, 2010 04:20AM

What a sudden and sad loss at a critical time for our club.
We are all indebted to Jeff for the great work that he has done taking the magazine to a new level and uniting the steam car enthusiasts around the world with his website.
Jeff had a great bubbly personality and was a true enthusiast for all things steam powered and most things mechanical. I always enjoyed a chat with him as he united us all and seemed to know every steam car movement or bit of essential information around the world. He was always helpful when we were trying to source parts or knowledge.
One memory of Jeff will always be with me, I believe that it was on a Welsh tour. That is of Jeff working on a Stanley at arms length down in the depths beside the boiler in an immaculate white shirt which remained as if it had just been put on. He was a skilled and careful mechanic and his steam cars always went well but he would share his enthusiasm with everybody.

Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 10, 2010 06:14AM

Jeff will be missed around the world, he and his efforts encouraged those of us in far flung places to really feel part of the steam family, his generosity and knowledge leave very large shoes to fill, but his legacy must be that we all band together and continue to grow the movement he loved so dearly.

vale Jeff,

locosurrey,
dave Hume Western Australia

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 10, 2010 08:48AM

Jeff loved his model 85. I had sent Jeff a photo taken of our model 85 on the steam car Idaho tour this summer. On September 18th, 2010 Jeff sent me back an email which is pasted below. I will miss his friendly emails.

Hi Pat,
Thanks for your email, love the picture, we're off to an event tomorrow with the 85, the best steam car I have owned! ...all the best, Jeff.

Jeff Theobald,
The Steam Car Club of Great Britain,
Marston Lodge,
Weydown Road,
Haslemere,
Surrey,
GU27 1BT,
U.K.

Posted by: (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: October 10, 2010 09:26AM

I'm most likely th newest car owner in the club at just a few months - and Jeff was one of a few who reached out and encouraged me here on the forum and in private email communication.

I looked forward to meeting him in person next month at the London to Brighton run, and hope now there will be an opportunity there to pay my respects to him and his family somehow - perhaps the steam stop that he invited me to even though I will not be driving a steam car this time can be named the Jeff Theobals Steam Stop in his honor?

Thanks Jeff for your encouragment.

Posted by: (---.range86-142.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 10, 2010 11:57AM

Jim King has asked if I would post the following on his behalf;

Memories of Jeff
Posted by :Jim King

It is difficult for me to put in to words how sad we were to hear of the untimely death of Jeff.

For many years we looked forward to Jeff and Pauline visiting us twice a month at our home in Sussex, and whilst the the ladies talked of this and that, Jeff and I would disappear into my workshop, or if the weather was fine, go for a trip in a Stanley.

For me the great joy of owning a Steam Car was that Jeff was always around with help and advise so willingly given, and always with a smile. Jeffwas my most valued friend - he was fun to be with , he was a one off and sadly we shall not see his like again.

R.I.P.Jeff and may your pilot never go out.

Our sincere condolences to Pauline, Steven and family.

Jim and Betty King

Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.kcom.com)
Date: October 10, 2010 05:42PM

SOME MEMBERS HAVE BEEN CONCERNED THAT THEY CANNOT POST THEIR CONDOLENCES ONTO THIS WEBSITE DUE TO THEM NOT HAVING BEEN REGISTERED.

TO FACILITATE THIS I AM WILLING FOR YOU TO SEND YOUR MESSAGE TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS barry@owlshoot.com. I WILL THEN PUBLISH YOUR MESSAGE UNDER YOUR NAME.

A MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM JOHN AND MARILYN OLIVER

As very new members of the Club, we had only just started to get to know Jeff. However, at the recent event at Prescott Hill, we were in charge of Basil Craske’s Stanley Model R, as he and Vicki were unable to attend. As ‘learners’ we were more than a little apprehensive of such a responsibility. However, all weekend Jeff was never far away, and immediately ‘downed tools’ on whatever he was doing if we called for assistance. His infectious enthusiasm gave us confidence which hopefully we can now build upon. Our sincere condolences go to Pauline, Steve and all his family, in such a tragic loss. From John and Marilyn Oliver.”

Posted by: barry herbert (87.102.4.---)
Date: October 11, 2010 03:13AM

A MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM JOHN TROY via my e-mail "barry@owlshoot.com"

I joined the Steam Car Club of Great Britain about 20 years ago, not as an owner, but as a photographer / enthusiast. I first met Jeff and his beloved Brooks on the Devon tour based at Bickleigh. From that day on, Jeff was always asking me if I had a photo of this or that car. I feel honoured to have known such a polite and knowledgable man.
He often suggested I come and see his collection. I rang him in Mid September and asked if I could see his Cars, etc on Saturday 25th. He agreed, and I spent a happy 2 hours or so looking at his vast collection. He was his usual jovial self, and it came as a great shock to hear of his death just 10 days later.
I send my condolences to his wife and family.

John Toy

Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC