Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7
Re: Memories of Jeff
Posted by: (---.Red-88-16-48.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: October 19, 2010 02:54PM

HI ALL.

I cannot say how shocked we were at reading the news,we did not

believe it.

WE were with Jeff and Pauline on the sunday before at the worco

open weekend. 13-14 sept.

I was privileged to know Jeff with his sense of humour and his

great knowledge.

He will leave a huge space in the steam car world.

May you rest in peace.

Condolences to Pauline and Steve and Family

John and Liz Saunders in Spain.

Posted by: (92.17.164.---)
Date: October 24, 2010 05:15AM

I have many memories of gentleman Jeff and they are all happy ones. He will be missed not just for his massive contribution to the steam car world but as a person. He was a nice person to know. I remember a tour several years ago when it had rained all day and the cars were returning early, Jeff arrived driving a little two seater and he had made some leggins, boots and a hat from sainsburys carrier bags. Soaked through with the rain running down his specs and that big smiley grin that we will all miss.
It was a priviledge and a pleasure to have known him.

Thoughts with Pauline,Steve and family

John and Maureen Hill

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/24/10 11:57AM by John Hill.

Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.kcom.com)
Date: October 30, 2010 06:05PM

A MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM JAN PLACKE AND HEINER ROSSLER
via my e-mail "barry@owlshoot.com"

The sad news of Jeff's sudden death came as a terrible shock for the small band of steam car enthusiasts in Germany. Without Jeff probably there would be no working steam car over here. For us Jeff was father, friend and teacher in one person. Always friendly and competent, he explained to us the sometimes puzzling behaviour of our machines in a way that even we could understand. A phone call with him made us feel confident once more.
We will miss him immensely.

Posted by: Alun Griffiths (95.144.146.---)
Date: October 31, 2010 06:36AM

News of Jeffs death came in an email from Mike Clark this week. I was totally shocked and dismayed, I had to read Mike's email several times before I finally accepted that Jeff had gone.

Jeff took Norma and I up Prescott Hill in the Stanley on the Saturday before, and we will always have that happy occasion with Jeff and our SCC friends amongst the most precious of our memories.

Jeff will be missed by his many friends around the world.

Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.KCOM.COM)
Date: October 31, 2010 07:48AM

A MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM ARTHUR ELDREDGE, PETERBOROUGH, NEW HAMPSHIRE

I just learned of Jeff's death yesterday at our meeting of the Steam Automobile Club of America - Northeast Chapter meeting. Needless to say I am stunned by the news. Although I never knew Jeff personally, I felt like I knew him as a result of our email correspondence. I had shared with him information about my 1901 Lane and he had asked me about the burner in the Hart steamer which is, in fact, a Lane burner. As a member of SCCGB I have thought very highly of Jeff's work on the club magazine and Jeff's enthusiasm for steam cars. I will miss his good work on the magazine and the nice correspondence I had with him. Please do extend my condolences to his family.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 10/31/10 07:53AM by barry herbert.

Date: October 31, 2010 07:52AM

MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM COLIN ANSELL

It is difficult to express how this news has made me feel as, like so many people, I was privileged to have made his acquaintance - he was one of a kind and will be sorely missed.

As I live fairly close to Jeff (I am in West Sussex) I visited him every so often (most recently about 4 weeks ago) as he was helping me with the build of my 'project'. I was also lucky enough to go out on the road with him in his 85 on a number of occasions. Recently I had spoken with Jeff about the possibility of becoming more involved in the business of the club and we had planned to explore this further. I had offered to help with proof-reading of the magazine as I know just how much effort he put into that (and the website etc etc) and how much time this all takes, but, unfortunately events have meant that we didn't have the opportunity to take this any further.

I know that Jeff will be wishing for things to carry on 'business as usual' as soon as possible and so my offer of any assistance still stands. I am sure it will take a little time for things to re-adjust following his departure but do please let me know how I can help.

Thank you all for what you do for the club - I know that it wasn't just Jeff and many of you put in a great deal of time and effort on our behalf.

Date: October 31, 2010 07:59AM

MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM RICHARD W. ROBERTS

It is with great sadness to hear from Steven that his father
> passed away last night. I can only imagine the turmoil this is for his
> family and the car club, as a finer person will be impossible to find.
> I personally will miss him very much, as I enjoyed his visit and
> email letters.

In about 1998 or so, when Jeff came to visit regarding my Brooks,
I had Jeff try driving my Brooks to a shopping centre, while there our
wives went into the store, and Jeff was comparing the differences
between our cars as he sat in the driver seat. A chap who knows me
spotted the car but didn't recognize the driver so I opened the rear
door where I was sitting and said hello, this chap did a double take
and spluttered an embarrassed comment , Jeff quick as a wit spoke up
saying, Richard couldn't find a chauffeur in America so imported one
from the UK, we laughed about that for years as my local friend took
it as the truth.

Date: October 31, 2010 08:56AM

MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM DAVID KING

It was such a shock when I first heard the news of Jeff's sudden death last night. I felt very sad for you all in The Steam Car Club and his family.

I had contact with Jeff several times by phone and Email when he bought my Light Steam Power books, but we met for the first and only time at Aylsham.. On that occasion he was kind enough to come across and introduce himself. Even in those few brief moments I felt a liking for him. and clearly we had a lot in common with our interest in the magic of Steam and nostalgia for past technology.

Jeff made such a profound contribution to the Steam Car Club, he will never be replaced.

My love and sympathy to you all.

Date: November 1, 2010 05:56AM

MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM NICK HOWELL

Sorry to hear the tragic news about Jeff. He will be greatly missed
and was an absolute stalwart of the Club, such an enthusiastic member,
magazine editor and web master. Great shame.

Date: November 2, 2010 10:11AM

MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM BEAULIEU MOTOR MUSEUM

It came as a shock to us all here at the Beaulieu Motor Museum to hear of the sudden passing of Jeff Theobald. He was one of the stalwart members of the steam car world and his help, drive and inspiration to us, here at the museum, will be sorely missed.

We could always rely on Jeff giving us advice, or anything to do with steam cars and, in fact, various other vehicles . His general knowledge of all types of cars was exemplary and his practical support, in arranging for steam cars to attend our events, much appreciated.

Rest in Peace Jeff, we will all sadly miss you.

Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC