Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
How much oil do you use in a year?
Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2010 01:36PM

Anyone know how much cylnder and crankcase oil I'd expect to use in a 15 hp Stanley 607 in a full season's touring?

Trying to work out where to but 5 litre cans or 25 litre drums of oil!

Thanks

Re: How much oil do you use in a year?
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 27, 2010 09:57PM

Dear Peter, Please tell us how many miles you tour in a season and we will give you an estimate of cylinder oil that might be used. On our non condensing Stanleys I try to adjust the oil consumption to at least one quart of oil used every 100 miles traveled. For most of our Stanleys, total oil loss out of the crank case might add up to about 3 quarts a year and that is a bit on the high side....and that is with about 1,500 to 2,000 miles of driving each year.

Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 03:14AM

Thanks, I would work on say 1000 miles/year.

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 10:30AM

Peter, From your mileage expected, it would be safe to say that you will easily use at least 3 gallons of steam cylinder oil in one season, but you had better start out with 5 gallons of steam cylinder oil purchased so that you could also change out your crankcase oil if needed and still have oil in reserve. Because of the added cost of the steam cylinder oil over 90-140 gear lube, I blend my oil in the crank case to save money and still get the job done. I use about 75% of 90-140 wt. gear lube to about 25% of steam cylinder oil in the crank case. The steam cylinder oil handles the water issues and the gear lube does an excellent job in lubrication. The 600 w also adds to the viscosity mix to help keep the crankcase oil from being splashed out.

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 11:37AM

Peter,

I use Morris’s Sentinel crankcase oil in my 10hp Stanley, available only in 25lt drums; this is made for use in Sentinel steam waggons. I did try their cylinder oil but found it difficult to see in the winker, I now use Hallett’s cylinder oil 1000CTRO this is much more visible in the winker. I bought 25lts. in 5 lt. tins with large screw caps for ease of pouring, that way I can take a 5lt. tin with me on a tour without having to decant this thick heavy oil from a 25lt. drum.

Don

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 12:31PM

I use Hallet's too - excellent for the winker. I bought a 25 litre drum and got hold of a plastic suction pump to draw it off into 1 litre bottles for ease of decanting into the oil tank. If you save enough of these small bottle it makes for a less oily operation when on a tour.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC