Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
London to Brighton
Posted by: (---.range217-39.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 2, 2010 05:02PM

As you probably know, this Sunday (7th November) is the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run (details at www.lbvcr.com).

In order that we can try and move forward 'business as usual' following Jeff's departure, I plan to write an article for the magazine and for the website.
However, I won't be able to be at the start but plan to go to the club stop in Salfords and then on to the Brighton finish. Therefore I would be very grateful if anyone could send me some photographs taken at Hyde Park and anywhere else on the run.
I am also looking for stories of members' experiences on the day.

It would also be great to have a list of all starters (the lbvcr website list is, I suspect, a little out of date) - I hope to be able to work out who finishes when I'm at Brighton.

Please help me to produce a record of the club's participation that 'the smiling man in the bowler' would have been proud of!

Thanks

Colin Ansell

Re: London to Brighton
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.86.---)
Date: November 3, 2010 02:48AM

I would be glad to help with a list of starters, the LBVCR forget to call some cars steam, so it says they are petrol when they are really not. I will be at the start with my Dad with my Grandfather's 1904 Curved-Dash Oldsmobile.His 1900 Mobile is also going to be starting the run.I don't know if I will get many/any pictures, but I would be able to write a report on "our" run. George Hounslow

Posted by: (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: November 3, 2010 11:21AM

Thanks George you are a hero, Jeff would be proud, infact he was proud of you. To see a young boy so keen is wonderfull. Your articals are a pleasure to read.
Basil

Posted by: (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 7, 2010 03:53PM

Today's L2B turned out be a really great day. A very cool northerly was blowing (at least this was to the entrants' backs!) but the sun did eventually shine through - nothing like the 'challenging' weather of last year!

I spent a very enjoyable few hours at the club's water stop taking notes and photographs and I'm sure that all participants (and by-standers) would wish to thank all those involved in providing the much needed food and water!

According to the official programme, there were 12 vehicles described as 'steam' - however, from what I have been told this is not entirely accurate as a number of steam vehicles were not listed as such.

When I arrived I was told that two cars had already performed their pit stop - must have been early starters! I then recorded a further 9 cars taking water before the stop was closed down.

My original plans to go on to Brighton had to be abandoned so I do not know the final tally/identity of the finishers. If anyone can provide me the details I would be most grateful.

I know that Jeff was checking-up on us today and I feel sure that he was very satisfied with what he saw.

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.40.---)
Date: November 8, 2010 11:54AM

Hi Crazycol, I would be happy to do a starters list. I unfortunately forgot my memory card for my camera, so I could only get some on my phone. I might or might not be able to get these on my computer.Old Timer

Posted by: (---.barn.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: November 24, 2010 06:17AM

I was in Crawley and Brighton taking pictures for Classic Car Weekly.

If you look closely you'll see a 1900 Gardner-Serpollet double phaeton steamer on the cover of this week's issue (24 November) with a bigger pic on page 61. I hope I got the details right.

There are a few more pic in my Flickr account [www.flickr.com] let me know if you want to use them in the mag or on the website.

Donminic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC