Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Locosurrey progress update
Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 6, 2010 07:01AM

My wife firmly stated she would not travel aboard my locomobile unless it had brakes, I can honestly now say that the brakes are as good as new. -perhaps I won't mention that the owners manual is a little disparaging about the stopping qualities of the brakes as fitted.

thank god for engine braking.

seriously though, pretty well all te plumbing problems have been solved, places found for all the equipment, one interesting one was where to put the hand pump, -under the frint or rear floor? -I have seen pictures of both, but the eventual decision was rear floor as I figure, working the manual pump while steering, throttling etc would be a bit silly, and better to banish my passenger to the rear seats to operate if required!

another thought bubble was how to ensure sufficient oil lube for the valve chest, since I am superheating the little beastie,

I did not want to alter any original part, by drilling into the chest to fit oil lines, the drain was a possibility, but with a vertical engine, limited value, also the steam inlet line was considered, but.... the solution was to build a 6mm thick "gasket" for the steam chest cover with 2 X 1/4 inch holes drilled for the oil lines, fits beautifully, is removable (should it be wanted) and has not affected the original components, the oil lines have been bent into position and now squirt oil directly at the upper end of the "D" valve travel ensuring good lubrication. The mason pump operates off the crosshead and now I can throw oil everywhere!
Actually this is needed as the brake linings need to cope with oil saturation, as they are located so close to the rear sprocket so I have used some Ford T kevlar bands (readily available) which cope well with the oil and still (well sort of!) stop me.

Locosurrey dave
West Aus

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC