Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Windrush Morris 1000
Posted by: (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 7, 2010 01:22PM

Perhaps this is not 'new' news but I have just noticed that Windrush is again up for sale - apparently the original sale 'fell through';

[cgi.ebay.co.uk]

Rather poignant to note that the seller mentions that he 'relied on a friend who was a steam expert but sadly he has passed away'. I guess we all know who is being referred to here.

Re: Windrush Morris 1000
Posted by: (81.168.70.---)
Date: November 7, 2010 07:30PM

News to me. Thanks for posting this Colin. I know the car & think it's an absolute bargain. I'm sorry to say that I'm not in a position to buy it; I wish I was. Maybe I'm biased. I hope it gets a good home. I think it's outstanding.

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 8, 2010 05:15PM

Greg

You may be interested to know that Windrush has been listed on ebay three times over the last few weeks, the first time it was up for £14000, with no takers. The second time it was bid up to £6000 but the buyer pulled out and the third time it had a buy it now price of £6000. As you say an absolute barging, it’s got to be the cheapest steam car around.

It would be interesting to know its history, who built it and when, how it works ect.

Don

Posted by: (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: December 3, 2010 10:25AM

Hi all just to let you all know I purchased Windrush. I will produce a full history and how it works etc, when I get to look at it and sort it out.I have to finish the restoration of my 30 HP Stanley model K first which should be around June.

Basil

Posted by: (---.cpe.gos.comcen.com.au)
Date: December 10, 2010 12:21AM

I'm pleased to see Windrush has found a new home and hope it can be kept running. I need to refresh my memory from articles on development but the conversion concept is worthy of consideration for refinement and wider use in the community as a practical farm pick up (for off road rural use) or a commuter/shopping car if reliable.

It has not been fully developed so would have faults most would not accept in a modern vehicle. Whatever these may be, most could be corrected to build a modern steamer that could run better for less money than any antique steamer can offer. Such standards must be achieved if the number of roadworthy steam cars is required to increase.

The attraction of Windrush is that it looks neat and normal from a distance and uses production parts that are easy to obtain even today. To improve the usefulness as a practical vehicle, some more cargo space would need to provided. Some modern commuter cars have cut cargo space to "tooth brush only" sizes so industry standards are not necessarily relevant. Room for one or two suitcases or food shopping goods would seem realistic in any case.

Will anyone out there take such a concept for a future steam vehicle to the next step?

Graeme

Date: December 11, 2010 08:50PM

Basil,
I have found some early information on this project and appreciate the builder's objectives. I was doing similar work in the USA and Australia at the time it was built and appreciate the limitations found with projects of this type.

Does anyone know how well it ran on a level road? Target speed was only around 45 mph and expected power of about 20bhp was less than the rated power of the Morris 1000 range of 34 to 35bhp. The original car would have been able to go to about 73mph.

Graeme

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: December 12, 2010 05:51AM

We had a quick look at the Windrush at Jeff's Memorial Day and were very impressed with the neatness and quality if the engineering of the car. All the conversion parts were to model engineering standards and it looked a proper job not a lashup. As a pickup it is slightly (!) compromised by the large monotube steam generator in the back but what a bargain it was.
Mike

Date: December 12, 2010 07:06AM

Mike,

Anyone looking for a modern steam project of this type will be kicking themselves for letting this one get away - a once in a lifetime chance that saves many years of hard work and deep pockets. If paying for work of this type, expect to have an ability to write blank checks, as top end classic car owners already know.

It is evident from the list of Acknowledgements of individuals or firms assisting construction of the vehicle, it was not a lone back yard, shoe string budget project. A select list of obvious items includes:
Albergas Ltd - Furnace - brazing of cylinder head;
Bristol Metal Fabrications Ltd - Welding of burners, Aluminium steam generator casing and steel liner;
R W Mason - Precision milling of plates comprising cylinder head;
Rolls Royce Apprentices School - Machining feed pump components.
and so on.

Those with sore heads already should have the message by now.

Notwithstanding the quality of work done, I expect to find that it could be made to perform much better on the road once some bench mark data is given. Just run it with the ex Barrett car to get an early comparison as both have similar size and types of engines and boilers with about the same steam output (if the Barrett boiler is left on low setting).

I would be inclined to save significant improvements for a follow on project, rather than mess with something virtually complete and apparently well built.

I look forward to seeing Basil's final report on the project in due course.

Graeme

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: December 12, 2010 05:45PM

Graeme,

The feedpump is a work of art, very neat with a return crank arrangement presumably to keep the length short - definately RR finish on that part. Jeff, who owned the car for a time, once told me that he rather regretted selling it because it was such an interesting machine. I can see why.

Mike

Posted by: (81.168.70.---)
Date: January 1, 2011 04:43PM

I'm very interested in the comparison between the Barrett & Windrush. I think there are quite a few parallels.

I was very disappointed not to be able to buy it when I first saw Windrush in Jeff's garage. That was before I bought the Barrett.

Incidentally, Barrett is now UK registered as a "Barrett" - not a VW special. It was Jeff's suggestion, & I'm very pleased he made that recommendation. I hope it will always be called the Barrett, in recognition of the fact that I'm just the present priveleged custodian of this, Peter Barrett's contribution to steam car technology.

Windrush's graphite lubrication of the top end looks very interesting. I feel that area might be a risk zone for the Barrett, which is lubricated with enough oil pressure to overcome 1500 psi steam. My worry is instumenting high pressure oil flow into the valve gear & thence to cylinders.

Greg

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC