Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
webmaster contact
Posted by: (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 04:31PM

Can anyone tell me how to contact the webmaster (Marilyn Kings)? I have noticed a couple of broken links on the site, want to find out how to post a 'wanted' item and report that two 'private mesaages' I have sent may not have been received.
Has anyone else tried (and succeded) sending a PM via the forum since the new website went live?

Re: webmaster contact
Posted by: (81.168.70.---)
Date: January 11, 2011 05:30AM

Hi Colin,

I have had problems with the forum. As user "Greg Walker", I can't log in. I can request, & obtain a new password, but that will not allow me to log in either. I got around the problem by registering as a new user,"Greg", but still had a problem because it told me that my associated email address (greg@rtd.gb.com) was already registered to another user, so I nominated a different email address, & that was OK.

Webmaster is Marilyn Oliver. I haven't got her phone number, but do have her email address. I'll email that to you directly. Marilyn told me other people were having problems with the forum. This is what she wrote:-

"I’m sorry that you are currently unable to post to the forum, but at present, until I receive training ready for using the new website, I am unable to assist directly. I gather that there might be other people having problems at the moment, and it could be something to do with development of the new site."

I'm afraid I don't feel at liberty to publish Marilyn's contact details.

Regards
Greg

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/11/11 05:31AM by Greg.

Posted by: (---.71.147.8.airlogic.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 08:34AM

Greg,

I sent a PM to Basil some time ago offering my help to the webmaster with the Forum (updating, trouble shooting, backup, or anything else except moderating). That message does not appear to have been read. That offer still stands for whomever is running your Forum.

If the people having trouble logging in to the Forum are using Internet Explorer, it is because the links on the website or in Phorum are probably not consistent. Some links have www in front, and some don't. IE sometimes adds a www back in and sometimes not, but it can prevent you from logging in.

Best,
Scott Finegan

Date: January 11, 2011 08:56AM

Scott,

Basil is on holiday in the USA, & that will be so for another week. He doesn't use the internet when he's away.

Your message doesn't explain my situation. I use Firefox & could quite happily log in to the forum. The computer kept a record of my password, & so did I. One day I went to log in & couldn't with the saved password, & couldn't with the password that I had noted elsewhere. As, I'm sure, you're aware, there's a button I can press to be issued with a new password. I entered that, but still the system refused to log me in when I used that.

I tried it today, and it now works. So I'm satisfied that somebody at the administration end has changed something to re-enable my account. Somebody has been moderating the forum - because a spoiler came in a little while ago promoting Ugg boots; and that was all deleted fairly quickly, but I failed to find out who's doing it. I know the plan is that Marilyn Oliver will be doing it, & Jeff used to do it, but it seems to be a secret who has been covering the interim.

Best,
Greg

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/11/11 08:58AM by Greg Walker.

Posted by: (---.71.147.8.airlogic.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:43AM

Greg,

Thanks for the quick reply. Please forward my offer to help to the parties involved.

Scott

Date: January 11, 2011 09:58AM

Will do

Posted by: (---.range86-169.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 02:31PM

I have now tested the 'PM system' with a member and all seems to be ok regarding sending/receiving messages (and I use IE for my sins). However, although received PMs are listed in my Phorum 'inbox', any I send do not appear in my 'outbox' (but they alwys used to) - this was why I thought they were not being sent!

Posted by: barry herbert (---.karoo.KCOM.COM)
Date: January 11, 2011 05:11PM

Greg/Scott

I am sorry that you both have been experiencing problems with logging on to the forum. You are not the only person affected as Marilyn Oliver has a list of other people who have contacted her.

Marilyn, as the new Webmaster, and I as the Magazine Editor have been in daily contact trying to sort out problems resulting from us taking over Jeff’s computer files. Unfortunately, to protect Jeff’s personal records, certain files had been deleted immediately following his death. This was a sensible thing to happen at the time to protect Jeff’s family.

Unfortunately these deletions have had numerous repercussions on the website affecting the people who are allowed to post on the website, the Wanted and For Sale sites to be frozen, other Links not working , The Steam Car Registers to be backdated, etc., etc.

Marilyn does not wish her website e-mail address to be common knowledge until she has received training, a fact she has already advised you (Greg) of and which you do not mention. This training will be done in the next few weeks by the company the committee has contracted to revise and update the website for the club. This sounds very reasonable to me. She will then be in a position to help members with their problems and ensure the site is as it should be.

We both ask for patience in this matter. Things will get sorted in due course. We are both volunteers and have other, more important things to do on a day to day basis. Suffice to say the magazine will be out shortly, the new website is up and running but needs a few “tweaks” here and there, but is already a great success. Since the 1st January the site has had 16,000 hits!

So please, Greg/Scott be patient. It is a club run by volunteers not a multi national company where time is money. We can only do so much in the time frame Marilyn and I each have.

Posted by: (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 12:05AM

Barry,

Did you read the above posts? I offered some help, as in volunteered for some specific things related to your Forum.

I have no problem logging in.

Best,
Scott

Posted by: barry herbert (87.102.11.---)
Date: January 12, 2011 07:45AM

Scott,

I am sure the committee, when it next meets, will be very pleased to condsider your volunteering.

However, I have checked the club's membership records, with the help of the membership secretary, and you are not a paid up member. Obviously only fully paid up members can be considered for posts within the club.

If you would like to complete a membership application form and send it to Chris Busk your membership will be considered by the club's committee as all applications are.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC