Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: poppet valves
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.glfd.dial.virgin.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 05:45PM

Bob,

I presume your temperature gauge was on the steam line between superheater and engine - what temperatures did you find?

Mike

Re: poppet valves
Posted by: (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 11, 2005 06:37PM

I am glad to hear someone advocate the importance of hooking up. The White system would certainly show the folly of not doing so with its limited reserve. The point you make about temperature is interesting. A small squirt of high temp.steam is worth more than a big dollop of low temp.steam and in the Stanley system because of the limited superheater length, short cut off is the only way to achieve this. Short cut off with a sliding valve is always accompanied by a small port opening, poppet valves do not suffer from this limitation. So it would be very interesting to hear of any results from a poppet valved Stanley or White system-------but then I suspect that none of you fancy altering your expensive pieces of historic machinery----and who could blame you!!

Jack.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC