Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
VAT on old car parts from the US
Posted by: (---.as43234.net)
Date: January 26, 2011 06:40PM

Customs & excise are charging me VAT on a nth hand running board toolbox I got from the US via ebay. Anyone had any experience of challenging these charges, or know waht exemptions to claim?

Re: VAT on old car parts from the US
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: January 27, 2011 04:54AM

If it's an old part, which predates VAT I should think there should be no VAT charged, only duty. As you probably know there are exemptions for historic cars which you could probably claim - try that. However how much momney is involved? Is it really worth making a fuss other than asking whether it can be exempt as part of a historic car.

Mike

Posted by: (---.as43234.net)
Date: January 27, 2011 02:27PM

Thanks Mike 'll try that arguement. Its woth the price of a stamp, every little bit helps!

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 28, 2011 04:00PM

Peter,

3 or 4 years ago I bought a number of steam engine parts via EBay from the states, injectors, governors and whistles ect. Some of these were stopped at Customs and some were not. Those that were stopped attracted VAT and a Customs release fee!! I had to pay this before the postman would hand over the parcel.
You can’t argue with Customs.

Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC