Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Steam car insurance WARNING
Posted by: (Moderator)
Date: March 5, 2011 05:35AM

Footman James have informed the club that people who have insurance with them must now be members of the NTET failing which their insurance will not be renewed, some members have already been affected.
I insure with R H Insurance phone 01277 206911, their rates are competitive and you get an immediate quote. They work with FBHVC.
Other members have used Hagarty.
Post your insurers details as it will help those who will be affected.

Edited 4 times. Last edit at 01/03/14 12:24PM by alpinemauve.

Re: Steam car insurance WARNING
Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range86-147.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 5, 2011 01:43PM

I use James Campbell for all of my vintage vehicles.

He used to be the preferred insurer for the NTET, until Footman James came along and donated a load of money to them.

James is a fine gentlemen, my one insurance claim was sorted out with no hassle and very quickly.

He may be contacted on 0173 081 7049.

Ian Vinton

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 5, 2011 04:19PM

I have my Stanley insured with Walker Midgley Insurance Brokers (Tel: 0114 250 2770)
They have a dedicated steam car policy and issue an NTET insurance disc for your car, even if you are not a member of the NTET.
This policy covers my car for any driver and also covers me to drive any other steam car - with the owner’s permission of cause!

They also insure my truck that I transport my Stanley in, and my extensive home workshop – you may find your home insurance doesn’t cover this.

Don

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: March 5, 2011 06:20PM

Footman James seem intent on scoring own goals - I was with AON for years until they took over Footman James and my policy got transferred to FJ. Things became difficult, letters, including boiler certificate were lost, all kinds of confusion and hassle so I moved all my old car business to Hagerty who are very good to deal with. The great thing is that when you phone Hagerty you are immediately speaking to someone who can deal with your query - non of those 'orrible call centres, in fact just as it used to be with with AON.

Mike

Posted by: johnhennessy (---.plus.com)
Date: March 7, 2011 08:47AM

I was with AON for twenty years until they bought out Footman James - then oh dear oh dear; talk about an up cock. On tony Doyles recomendation I am now also with Hagerty. And I agree Mike they copuld not be more helpful - and cheeper.

John H

Posted by: Mark Drake (62.189.28.---)
Date: March 8, 2011 08:58AM

Hi all,

I thought that you may be interested with my recent insurance experience:

I too insure with Footman James, previously Aon. I have two cars to insure, one roadworthy, the other laid up. I contacted them today to enquire about the NTET membership issue and also to upgrade the laid up policy to fully comprehensive because I plan to get the Roadster registered in the next couple of weeks - Hurray!!

The whole thing took about 50 minutes of that delightful ‘call centre experience’ - I was told that the NTET issue would not affect me until I renewed next January, but that I’d have to pay a further sum to upgrade the laid up policy. This ‘further sum’ turned out to be £58 more than Hagerty’s have just quoted to fully comp. both cars on the same policy for a full year! Negotiations on the further sum reduced it a little, but not much real help.

To add insult to injury, the cancellation refund value for the existing comprehensive policy was pitiful and to make matters worse, Footman James told me that it was their policy to not give any refund at all on cancelled laid up insurance.

Well, Footman James, it’s not my policy to do business with rip-off artists, Goodbye.

Happy steaming everyone!

Mark

Posted by: (---.range86-181.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 9, 2011 04:12AM

I too used the delightful Claire Calcutt at AON for very many years. She was excellent and everything was dealt with quickly and efficiently and I think she enjoyed working with enthusiasts like us. However, when I went to one of NTET meetings early last year (Ian Vinton was there with us) we were given a "talk" by one of the Footman James people explaining that they were taking over the AON account-the problem was that he had no idea what he was talking about. When my renewel came up Footman James made no real effort to get my business so I moved to Hagerty who dealt with a multi car policy very well. I hope that they stay the way they are!

In passing, I welcome the probability that pre war cars will not require an MOT at some time in the future as legislation is being put to Parliament this year. However, we must ensure that this is not the thin end of the wedge and that we are not to be disadvantaged in years to come. We also need to understand Insurance Companies views on this-has anyone heard any views from their company?

Mike Mutters

Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range109-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 11, 2011 06:14PM

Mike

The first I have heard of, potentially, pre-war cars not needing an MOT.

Its odd, but not unheard of, for the Government to change something that is working very well.

Ian Vinton

Posted by: (---.range86-181.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 12, 2011 05:27AM

There have been serious discussions regarding MOT's for older vehicles at senior government levels. The reasoning is that early vehicles do not fit the existing system/formulae for garages to carry out the test as they currently do on line and that early cars may travel only very small mileage from one annual test to another.

Representations have been made to Parliament and although it's clear that they have far more important things to do currently, it is possible that new legislation may be put forward for early cars this Parliament to be exempted from MOT's. It's not yet clear if it's pre 1920 or pre war.

By relieving early vehicles from an annual MOT does not mean that unroadworthy vehicles will be allowed on the road however, hence my query regarding as to Insurance companies views on the matter.

Both Stewart Skilbeck, David Burgess-Wise and Lord Montague have been involved with these discussions and are still actively involved.

Mike

Posted by: barry herbert (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2011 07:36AM

My insurance has always been with AON. In the early days it was to insure my Showman engines but gradually changed over to steam cars. Never any problem with them and the premiums were O.K.

However, I have just received renewal forms, for the first time from Footman James, where my cars have had the policy split into two, one covering normal road use and the other for rallies, etc and also requesting a recognised boiler certificate. They also give two separate quotes for these two policies which become very dear and far exceeding previous years premiums.

I have spoken to Haggerty Classic Car Insurance and they confirmed that boiler insurance is covered in a comprehensive policy. I have therefore changed over to Haggerty for all my cars. With a restriction of 1000 miles per annum for each car I am going to pay 47% of the combined quote from Footman James.

Footman James deserve to lose steam car business.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC