Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Richard Smith steam systems
Posted by: (---.bristan.com)
Date: June 7, 2011 08:06AM

Does anyone have available pages 2 and 3 of the super S.A.S.S. steam generator series drawings designed be Ricard J Smith back in May 1971,this was the basis of his mini bike produced for Bob Noble. I have contacted both Tom Kimmel and Karl Petersen neither of which have these drawings available.I believe they show the fueland water control system.any info would be of great assistance

Re: Richard Smith steam systems
Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.barony.ac.uk)
Date: June 8, 2011 05:24PM

Hello Greg

I have a full set of drawings and instructions for the Doble style 1500lb/hr generator by R.J. Smith with no mention of super or maxi S.A.S.S. which I think were different beasts.
I'm sure the bike was described in a series of articles once, maybe in Modeltec.
If you want a copy of these drawings let me know, they are a strange size and probably reproduce better in A3 than shrinking down to A4

Brian

Posted by: (---.bristan.com)
Date: June 9, 2011 06:22AM

Hello Brian
I already have the big generator drawing by R J Smith as supplied by light steam power back in the seventies thanks. This small unit on the mini bike described in LSP Vol XX No 4 was stated to be a “Mini SASS” boiler this was about 4 inches(100 mm) dia by 16.5”(420 mm) overall 25”(635 mm) including propane burner From paperwork and photo’s I have obtained it looks like the control system is based on those shown in plans supplied for the educator steam buggy with exception of the bypass valve, it could be the bike was the original design which was improved for the educator buggy. The one sheet I have shows details of generator pipe work and casing only and refers to the feed relief valve on sheet 3.there appears to have been a few teething problems with the controls initially and I wondered if they were sorted by the time the drawing were published.

Posted by: (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 26, 2011 12:54AM

Brian... Different Greg, but DEFIANTLY interested in those plans if you still have them available... I've been looking all over for a set.. any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
Greg

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.as43234.net)
Date: June 26, 2011 04:40PM

Hi Greg

I can photocopy or scan the pages but will have to reduce them down from foolscap to A4. If you are in UK I can post, or else email. PM your details to me with a preference.

If you are still interested all 37 pages are now scanned and about 2.5MB in total, bottom 3/4 inch missing but only affects a couple of pages.

For the other Greg, the SACA store still sells the Smith Bicycle drawings, is it the set they sell that is missing pages or is this for a different design?

Brian

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 06/29/11 01:20AM by Brian McMorran.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC