Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
SPUDS
Posted by: Alun Griffiths (95.144.142.---)
Date: July 13, 2011 04:35AM

Back in the days when the British Light Steam Power Society was more active there was an Australian club called Steam Power Unit Development Society (SPUDS) founded a few years before the BLSPS in October 1943. SPUDS was very active in modern steam power systems. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Re: SPUDS
Posted by: barry herbert (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2011 11:04AM

Alunhm

This appeared when I entered SPUDS on Google. It is written by Pat Farrell and gives some info.

Barry

Steam Power Unit Development Society
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Pat Farrell, Secretary/Treasurer, Steam Automobile Club of America, Northwest Chapter

"The Steam Power Unit Development Society" or better know as S.P.U.D.S., originated in Melbourne, Australia and I guess it was around from about 1945 to the mid-50's. I have several issues of their publications from 1947 through 1953.
In the 40s their publication was a BI-monthly mimeograph on legal size paper of 10 pages each month. By 1953, their publication was a 30 page BI monthly of the same sized format as the old "Light Steam Power". Their president was
Sydney Clement. They had branches just like S.A.C.A. has chapters. Their topics covered is the same as the present S.A.C.A. publications.

My issues are: Aug '47 issue was bulletin #29, Sept, 1947 #30, Jan '48 #32, Feb '48 #33, Mar '48 #34, Sep/Oct '48 #39, Nov/Dec '48 # 40, May/Jun '49 #43, Jan/Feb/Mar '51 #53 Apr/May/Jun '51 #54, Jan/Feb/Mar '52 #56, Sept '52 #58, Jan '53 #60, May '53, #62, July '53 #63, Sept '53 #64.

Writers included: Rev. Stanley W. Ellis of Stanley steamer fame. Cliff Blackstaffe of Victoria, B.C. and he is famous for the Blackstaffe steam engine that is used world wide in steam launches. E. Pritchard of Melbourne, Australia and famous for his steam automobiles.

January '53 #60 included a member's roster that looked like a Who's Who in the steam world. A few names from the U.S.A.: Floyd Clymer, Mrs. Mary Derr (American Steam Auto), Erik Delling, Earl Eckel, Torrie Kelso, Fred Marriott, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC