Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Ottaway burner
Posted by: (---.range86-179.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 24, 2011 11:23AM

Hi All
has anyone out there got a set of drawings for a ottaway burner sutable for a Locomobile that thay would be willing to let me have a copy of or any ideas on a similar design that may suit
Ta Dom

Re: Ottaway burner
Posted by: HarryHibler (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 12:48AM

Hello Ta Dom,
I have the Ottaway burner drawings that you could use on a Locomobile. Do you still need the drawings?
Harry Hibler

Posted by: (---.dynamic.adsl-line.inode.at)
Date: November 14, 2011 01:09PM

Dear Ta Dom
we are just reproducing an Ottaway like burner with a pilot completely inox for a Locomobile in Italy. My Locomobile uses this construction and it is very reliable. Send me your email address and I can send sketches of the parts
Peter Wueringer from Vienna, Austria

Posted by: (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 18, 2011 06:16PM

would like to get drawings my e-mail is jjtjr@yahoo.com thanks

Posted by: (202.146.24.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:26AM

Dear Peter,

I noted with interest the mails about the Ottaway burner. I have constructed one of these burners for my 1901 Toledo according to the original plans, as the original Toledo burner had been discarded in the 1950s.

It has caused me great frustration over the last couple of years trying to get the burner to work properly. The vapouriser seems to be totally inadequate with liquid fuel dripping from the jets on start up and even sometimes while it is running. We altered the design of the vapouriser slightly by cutting the stainless steel vapouriser tube over the pilot burner and welding in a steel block as a heat sink. This improved the situation slightly, in that the pilot is now able to heat the vapouriser enough to start the main burner. However,the burner is still unpredictable and basically unusable.

You say that you have found your burner very reliable. I have clearly done something wrong. Could you possibly give me some advice on jet sizes and the type of jet used and the jet holders. I used two venturi. Did you use the vapouriser described in Herb Ottaway's plans? It would be great if you could send some photos of the vapouriser.

Any advice you can give me on this burner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Laurie Kathage
Brisbane, Australia

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 01:44AM

Hi Laurie,
I have some drawings which have worked very sucessfully on at least 3 cars. Would you like them? If so could you private message me your e-mail. George Hounslow.

Date: January 20, 2012 11:37AM

Dear Laurie,

please send an email to ziviling@wueringer.net and I can answer with o lot of pictures of the burner with vaporizer etc.

For me it sounds rather strange as the vaporizer is rather simple and it works well. Indeed you have to use white petrol and not diesel for this burner. When you warm up the burner the vaporizer should be empty. Therefore at the end of the day close the petrol line to the burner and wait until the flame goes out. When the vaporizer is warm enough you open this valve and the liquid petrol comes to the vaporizer.

The next question is about the arrangement of the vaporizer and the steam automatic. In my car the liquid petrol comes under pressure to the steam automatic and when the steam pressure is low, the automatic opens and the liquis is directed to the vaporizer and later on to the main nozzle of the injector system. Originally locomobile had the vaporizer first and then the steam automatic. This seems to cause problems in a burner with pilot and a steam automatic, which closes totally if the steam pressure is high.

Another important thing is a copper disc with a little hole of the same diameter as the nozzle in the connector between steam automatic and the vaporizer. It separates the zone of liquid petrol with the vaporizing zone. Only as much petrol comes through the hole in the copper disc as petrol vapor goes through the main nozzle into the injector. Therefore the vaporizer cannot cool down so much and it gives a steady flame without sounds like astmathic breathing.

Happy steaming,

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/20/12 11:56AM by ziviling.

Attachments: DSC00111klein.jpg (67kB)   DSC00116klein.jpg (65kB)   DSC00121klein.jpg (91kB)  
Date: January 23, 2012 10:38AM

Dear Laurie,

from your pictures I can see that you try to run an Ottaway burner without pilot. I cannot imagine this will work properly because you need a lot of heat for warming up the vaporizer. In a burner without pilot the steam automatic has to regulate from maximum power to minimum standby. I don`t think that the vaporizer and also the injector system works with little flame at standby mode. The drawings of Ottaway burner from SACA storeroom also include space for a pilot. I produced my pilot similar to [www.steamautomobile.com] and it works very nice. There you will be guided to drawings.

Maybe some other stamers have more experience in a Ottaway burner without pilot

Happy steaming with a new pilot in your burner
Peter Wueringer from Vienna Austria

Attachments: LK - Burner 2klein.jpg (66kB)  
Date: January 29, 2012 04:43AM

Dear Laurie,

You sent an email to me saying that you already use a pilot which heats up the vaporizer to dark red. Ok, my mistake, now I can see a pilot in one picture, it seems to work on propane gas.

You also wrote that the steam automatic is about 1ī away from the vaporizer and you use 1/4" fuel pipe.

In my opinion this means that when the steam automatic opens, you flood the vaporizer with liquid petrol, cooling it down and then even liquid petrol comes out of the main nozzle.

As I wrote in the mail above, a copper disc with a little hole of the same diameter as the nozzle is situated in the connector between my steam automatic and the vaporizer. It separates the zone of liquid petrol from the vaporizing zone. Only as much petrol comes through the hole in the copper disc as petrol vapor goes through the main nozzle into the injector.

You can see this in the pictures enclosed.

A similar disk I use in the connector to the pilot burner. In this picture of the pilot burner you can see what a little length of the pilots vaporizer is heated from the pilot flame.

So I think you donīt need a bigger vaporizer if you are using liquid petrol, not diesel, in your main burner but you should reduce the transport of liquid petrol to the vaporizer.

The distance between steam automatic and vaporizer should be very short and 1/8" fuel pipe seems to be enough, because when the steam automatic closes, you have a lot of petrol in this pipe. And without pressure from the air tank this fuel runs slowly to the vaporizer, causing a little flame in the burner and somtimes backfiring occured to me in this situatoin.

Best wishes and happy steaming,

PS: I send this email through the steam forum because I Think other members will have more information helping you with your car.

Attachments: P1000043klein.jpg (210kB)   P1000050klein.jpg (141kB)   P1000051klein.jpg (171kB)  
Posted by: (202.146.28.---)
Date: January 30, 2012 04:18AM

Hi Peter,
Thanks once again for your good advice and photos. Before I attack the vapouriser, I'll look at moving the steam automatic closer to the vapouriser and using smaller diameter fuel line, as well as installing the copper discs. Looks like I have some homework to do.
Cheers,
Laurie

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC