Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Use up petrol contaminated diesel in a Stanley
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 04:32PM

We hear of people mistakenly filling a diesel car with petrol and then paying to have it cleaned out. The garages doing this then have to dispose of the unwanted mixed fuel and presumably pay someone to take it away.

Has anyone tried used this brew in a steamer?

Diesel has a specific gravity of about 0.9 while petrol is about 0.75.

Do you think a reasonably accurate hydrometer would enable us to assess the proportions of such a brew so that more petrol or diesel could be added as required to adjust the mixture to something that could be used in a Stanley?

Perfectly legal from the tax point of view - depends on the attitude of the garage. The snag would be how to legally store the stuff if there were more than could be put into your car. In the words of the BBC -- don't try this at home!

Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/20/06 04:35PM by Mike Clark.

Re: Use up petrol contaminated diesel in a Stanley
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2006 07:22PM

Hi Mike,

Use it all the time, and as you say I use a hydrometer to get the mix around .8 I did have one recovery firm that kept it back for me, I supplied them with clean containers, but the workers started putting brake fluid and other rubbish in it, so that source has dried up, made for some strange smells, and peculiar burning until I worked out what was going on!!

Jeff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC