Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
Locomoblie Style 2 Stanhope help needed
Posted by: (---.190-225-171.telecom.net.ar)
Date: October 5, 2011 11:29AM

Good afternoon dear members. I do apologize if sounds reiterative. I’m returning to a project that was left aside for some time.
I’d appreciate any information (comments, sketches, drawings, blueprints, pictures with annotations, etc.) related to the construction of a chassis / frame for a 1900 / 1901 Locomobile Style 2 Stanhope.
Thanking everybody in advance. Regards.
JMV.

Re: Locomoblie Style 2 Stanhope help needed
Posted by: John Hampton (---.speedy.com.ar)
Date: October 18, 2011 10:11AM

How complete or What parts do you have for your proyect ??

Posted by: (---.200-45-137.telecom.net.ar)
Date: October 18, 2011 12:39PM

Good afternoon John. I thnk I have most of the wooden body solved out and it's under construction. At the moment I have no parts of the frame/chassis solved, so I'm looking for information about front and rear axle, differential gear, steering mechanism, etc.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Regards.
JMV.

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: October 19, 2011 03:24AM

Hi Juan,
From the information I have:
Front Axle: The early tie rods were 1/2 inch diameter but later (1900 on) were inlarged to 5/8 inch, the neds shaped more like a clevis with clevis pins attaching them to the steering arms, at the bottom of the tiller there is a drag link connecting the bottom of the tiller to the front axle, there are brackets for tiller on the body, one just below the seat and one at the bottom of the body.

Rear axle:The axle should have clamp braces to fit around the axle housings and a u shaped piece of tubing/flat sheet of metal around the diff gear to to hold the axle pieces together.

Differential gear: In 1900 the diff gear was open but in 1901 it was inclosed. Until 1901 the diff gear consists of spider gears on a carrier which held the chain sprocket and diff gear on the axel ends so that they would mate. From 1901 all the working parts were inclosed in cast iron housing. The axle ends now had spur gears mating other gears in the housing. You could not grease it as Locomobile thought that the would fill it up at the factory and you would not have to fill it up again!

I hope this helps, I suggest that you try and buy The Genelogy of the Locomobile Steam Carriage 1899-1904 by Donald L. Ball, this is where I have got my info from.
( I have tried to right it in my own words so as to avoid copyrights.

George Hounslow

Date: October 19, 2011 07:52AM

Good morning George. thanks for the information provided. I tried to buy a copy of the book you talk about, but when I went to the shopping section, there is no way I can select other country than the US, so I can't complete the buying process; I've even used the web contact information to contact them directly, but obtained no answer.
Any additional information you may provide me with will be of great help.
Regards. JMV.

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: October 19, 2011 10:05AM

Hi Juan,
What other info do you want? George.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/19/11 10:05AM by Old timer.

Date: October 19, 2011 01:00PM

George, good afternoon. I’m needing to know dimensions, thickness and as many details as possible about the construction of the front axle and rear axle. For example a hand draw sketch of the isolated parts that form part of it containing dimensions and measures taken from a real or replica vehicle; or an assembly drawing showing overall dimensions, pipes diameters, thickness, angles, etc.
Sorry if I’m not clear enough with my comments, but I’m not a native English speaker. Regards. JMV.

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.as43234.net)
Date: October 19, 2011 04:40PM

Hello Juan

I also had trouble getting the book from the Stanley Museum, emailed them in July and got an answer in September but to be fair the book came quickley after that. Check your Private Messages, I will send the museum's email.

Suggest you also try [www.steamcar.net]
and seach down the list for locomobile. The drawings [www.steamcar.net] have a scale rule to refference from. These same drawings are in the booklet
189 $2.50 0.25 Engineering Appraisal for the Stanley/Locomobile
TM137 $7.50 0.5 Locomobile Chassis Swivel Joint and Body Plan by Harry Hibler available at [www.steamautomobile.com]

Hope Tom Kimmel sees this post and appreciates the advertising!!

Good luck
Brian

PS I tried the PM but did not recognise you so;
These are the two email addresses I contacted to get the Locomobile book.I made payment by Paypal but if you phone them they will take creditcard.

maine@stanleymuseum.org
sales@stanleymuseum.org

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/19/11 04:49PM by Brian McMorran.

Posted by: (---.186-125-135.telecom.net.ar)
Date: October 19, 2011 08:39PM

Good afternoon Brian. I've tried to contact the museum using those two e-mail addresses, but couldn't get an answer. I have obtained the TM137 article from Harry Hibler, I also exchanged some e-mails with him and I think I have solved all issues realted to bodywork. Regards the 189 article I didn't know what it contained, but now that I know I'll get a copy of it.
Sorry for being dumb, but what does "PM" stand for in the PS.
Regards. JMV.

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.as43234.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 09:48AM

Hello Juan

I had given up on the Stanley Museum then suddenly they emailed me, guess you need to be patient. Have you tried a telephone call or fax? That is how I bought the Stanley book a couple of years ago.

'PM' means Private Message which should be shown in the menu along the top of the box where you write messages.
If you are not a member of this club I think you cannot receive private messsages.

Brian

Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC