Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Magazine
Posted by: (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2011 12:06PM

The latest issue of the Steam Car magazine is now out.

Please let any committee member know if you have not received it.

For those members outside the UK please give it a few weeks as the mail system is not that good from the UK.

Basil

Re: Magazine
Posted by: (---.dynamic.dsl.maxnet.co.nz)
Date: October 20, 2011 01:20AM

Received mine yesterday down here in New Zealand and it's a good one.

Cheers
Mark

Posted by: (---.grapevine.transact.net.au)
Date: October 20, 2011 08:26AM

Mine arrived today in Australia :-)

Great job too - great to see the standard being kept up so well

Cheers
Jerry Everard
Canberra, Australia

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: October 20, 2011 10:22AM

Hi all,
Another brilliant magazine. Well done Barry. George Hounslow.

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 07:20AM

I find the photograph on page 38 – “from Jeff’s archives” of the Stanley engine being explained by one of the Stanley twins very interesting.

It is clearly an early, dry engine and looking at the size of the cylinders I would say 30hp. The giveaway to the possible identity of this engine is the size of the drive gear - this surely must be the engine from the land speed record car.

Don

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 09:02AM

I also found the photo very interesting. The first thing I noticed was the cylinder block is on upside down. The proportions of the cylinder look more like the early 20 HP 3.625 X 5 The 1906 H had a 60 tooth gear on the engine.
Rolly

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/23/11 09:06AM by Rolly.

Date: October 23, 2011 04:24PM

Rolly

I have an early 20 HP 3.625 X 5 Model F engine dating from 1908 and comparing it with the photograph in the magazine the cylinder block on my engine looks smaller. The drive gear on my engine has 43 teeth and is less that half the diameter of the one in the photograph. Counting the teeth on the drive gear in the photograph, as best as I can, I estimate there to be about 100.

In the excellent book “The Stanley Steamer” by Kit Foster on pages 220 & 222 there are photographs showing the wrecked land speed record car. You can see the large drive gear on the engine and also see that the cylinder bock is fitted to the engine upside down.

The drive gear on the rear axle is very small, too small to house a differential, there being no need for one on a straight line racer and this of coarse would save weight.

Don

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 05:02PM

Don take another look In the photos in Kit Foster’s book the whole engine is up side down. The photo on page 220 clearly shows the cross members on the frame just in front of the cylinder block, this would be the bottom of a normal engine, making the frame upside down. The other photo on page 222 shows the reversing arm on the exhaust side as it should be on a normal engine. The racer ran with no exhaust manifold, it just exhausted straight down to the ground. The engine in the Jeff’s pictures has the exhaust manifold on it.
I’m not positive it not a 30 HP but the scale of the cylinder size does not fit the drawings I have done of an early 30 HP K engine.

Attachments: Type 4 engine.jpg (90kB)  
Date: October 24, 2011 04:16PM

Rolly

When I first looked at the photo on page 220 of Kit Foster’s book I thought that whole part of the car was upside down, but if you look at the springs it has to be the right way up, with the engine upside down in the frame. Also the perch poles come off the top of the axles as in the photo on pages 214 & 216.

I wonder if they mounted the engine upside down with it being behind the axle so that it still ran in forward gear to go forward, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be ran in reverse.

In your excellent drawing of the model K engine the 66 tooth drive gear is only slightly bigger in diameter than the crank webs but in Jeff’s photo the drive gear looks a lot bigger, the same size as the one in the race car. I see there being no need for a drive gear of this size in any road car.

These are only my thoughts on the matter and I am only a novice when it comes to steam cars!

Don

Posted by: (---.Red-88-3-176.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 02:52PM

Mine received yesterday in spain, great.
Many thanks john.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC